Problem importing text boxes created with Xpress Tags

Discuss QuarkXTensions® and third-party XTensions® software
F Trucks

Post by F Trucks » 09 Dec 2011, 11:07

Hello everybody,I'm trying to import boxes (text boxes) using the Xpress Tags Xtension.I'm creating the box(es) using the and tags.For some reason, Quark is not importing them properly.I've imported text-only tags, and never had a single problem.Now I need to import full boxes, with their own properties, and of course, inner text.Quark is giving a "the import process was stopped because an invalid tag was found or corrupt information was encountered" error, which seems quite self explanatory, but I even tried to import the examples in the manual, with same results.So I'm discarding syntax issues as the problem.The problem is specifically importing the boxes; I've tried adding the boxes tags to another Xpress Tag file, and Quark imports everything until the appers, then throws the mentioned error and stops the import.If you have any idea of what the problem could be, I'd appreciate any help.Thanks in advance, F.

pdurrant

Post by pdurrant » 09 Dec 2011, 20:37

Perhaps I've just missed a new feature of the XPress Tags import filter, but I thought that box imports were an extension to the coding only available in the (commercial) XTags import filter by Em Software?http://emsoftware.com/products/emtags/

F Trucks

Post by F Trucks » 10 Dec 2011, 07:34

Turns out that you were totally right.To import boxes you need to have Xtags(tm) Xtension by Em Software, which is $400.BUT... and this is for anyone with same problem and/or interest...You can download the Xtags .xnt file from the Em Software website and use it for free, as a demo, with limited functionality but NO TIME LIMIT.So, you can import up to a 50 records limit, 50 paragraphs at a time limit, which, if you're working on big projects can be a drag, but still, no usage time limitations.In my case, it fits perfectly, as I only have to create a single new paragraph per import.Thanks pdurrant, you actually solved my problem.One thing I've noticed about importing text boxes, is that there is no "Xtags Import" or similiar command.There is a "Import TEXT with Xtags".This command will import an entire box, with text, format, etc, but to be able to do that, I must create a new text box, or the command will just appear disabled.So, it will import the box, creating a new one, and leaving the empty previously created box unusued and unmodified.Still, it is necessary to create that previous box to make the command enabled.That seems really odd to me. And it is, actually, quite uncomfortable to use.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: XTensions modules”