AutoCorrectXT 3.0 Update Kills my QuarkXPress 8

Discuss QuarkXTensions® and third-party XTensions® software
Binky

Post by Binky » 05 Nov 2009, 11:29

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more.... I will reinstall AutoCorrect for the 12th time now to see if version 3.1 really is better. Thank you for this information. I don't know why Athena would not send this out to all registered users...I cannot find the Preference Files the article refers to but I will continue to look for them. Mac OS 10.5.8 ... QXP 8... Binky

schnerger

Post by schnerger » 06 Nov 2009, 04:00

Do you run more than one user on your mac? if not just go into the library folder of the only one user you are running on that mac. If not, you have to do it for every user. search there in libraries for preferences folder, quark, quarkxpress 8.0. Don't delete the QuarkXpressPref as mentioned (this would delete all your programm settings and set them back to factory settings). just search for the two other prefs they are talking about.If you succeed and as you allready bought the software, may I ask you: If that XT finally works for you: do you see the red lines under the misspelled words you typed? I have downloaded the test version and there are still no red lines visible. Which would be pretty useless. One would have to scroll along every line of the text.Upps, by the way, when installing that test XT for the 1st time, I forgot to put the dicotionaryfolder which comes along in the xtensions folder as well. When starting XPress the programm crashed. After putting the dics there, it went ok. As being german I did see that there is a german dictionary but when I run that text XT the only language used seems to be english.cheers

polka

Post by polka » 07 Nov 2009, 05:04

I did follow the instructions for upgrading to AutoCorrectXT 3.1 and my XTension is running fine now. For the red underlines not appearing you must see that it is only the language of the text that would matter. If you have set the language to US English then the US English dictionary would be used to spell check the words. If you change it to German then only the German dict would be used. Just check your language through the measurement palette or through the character attributes dialog from the Style menu.

schnerger

Post by schnerger » 08 Nov 2009, 03:41

thanks for your hint. I checked the languages as well and have now installed the 3.1 version.
AHHHH: just tested "german" and not the "german (reformierte neue rechtschreibung)". it works, but unfortunately the XT might be useless for almonst the whole german speaking countries if it only works with "german". We had two reforms of the way the language is written during the last ten years (and there is even a reversed swiss-german as well) and most publications are nowadays in "german (reformierte neue rechtschreibung").

Binky

Post by Binky » 08 Nov 2009, 13:36

After upgrading to AutoCorrectXT 3.1 and deleting the AutoCorrectXT pref files and deleting and re-installing again I have the AutoCorrectXT 3.1 working perfectly except that once in a while is replaces mis-spelled words that were previously in Helvetica size 12 with valid corrections that are in Helvetica size 18 (????) and of course I still have to Force Quit the Quark application when I want to quit it because Command-Q and the Quit command from the application menu do not work. Other than that, Oll Korrect !!Binky

roberteajohnston

Post by roberteajohnston » 10 Nov 2009, 02:24

You are not alone, it seems the problem NOW IS that there are issues when anchor boxes exist in the story, but I think it is more than that.You can get it Quark & AutoCorrect going again (for a while I guess) by removing the 2 AutoCorrect preferences from the Quark Preferences folder, should be with in the same folder as quark but could be in the User Library.Athena said today: "We regret the inconvenience. The XTension version you are using is the latest one. (3.1)Regarding the crash you are getting, our technical team has found out that there are issues when anchor boxes exist in the story. QuarkXPress behaves abnormally when anchor boxes exist and AutoSpell performs actions.If anchor boxes exist in a story we recommend that you do not do any AutoCorrectXT action in that story. Rest of the functionality would be fine.We will be providing a patch update of AutoCorrectXT 3.1 in less than a week's time. If you can wait for about one week then it will be nice of you.

Binky

Post by Binky » 10 Nov 2009, 02:40

Actually, I have been using AutoCorrectXT (and reporting problems and anomalies to Athena) for quite some time now and I must admit I am finding AutoCorrectXT more intriguing all the time. I just opened a QXP8.1 document of my own creation, one that I worked on yesterday, and found that the capital letter "i", when used as the first word in several sentences, has been either made bold or made larger, (from size 12 to size 18), in three separate occurances. Not that it isn't easy to spot or revert, but it is curious that this should happen spontaneously in three different unlinked and unanchored text boxes. I love a mystery. I am using a licensed copy of AutoCorrectXT 3.1 and would continue to do so for the entertainment value even if it were not an excellent piece of software in other respects. Speaking of which, I find that the level of accuracy in spelling on this forum (once you get past regional American vs. Canadian / British differences) to be the highest I have ever encountered anywhere on the internet. Binky

JonAthena

Post by JonAthena » 11 Nov 2009, 18:04

I am here to help you guys. We have identified the issues you are talking about. The replacement attributes and the problems with hidden texts.You must not have any problems once we come out with our upgrade of AutoCorrectXT 3.1. And this would be pretty sooner than you think. We are going to provide this by mid next week. So hold on...

Binky

Post by Binky » 12 Nov 2009, 06:28

Jon: Thank you for your assistance with getting this software up and running properly. AutoCorrectXT is a very nice XTension when it works properly. Please keep us informed about your progress with this software. I will visit the Athena Software site next week to see if the updater / upgrade of AutoCorrectXT 3.1 has arrived. Binky

JonAthena

Post by JonAthena » 17 Nov 2009, 18:15

And here it is! AutoCorrectXT 3.2 is here with most of the issues fixed which are reported in this forum. We are in the process of sending an upgrade info email to our customers. Meanwhile you can download the XTension from our website http://www.athenasoftsolutions.com/Products.html and see if it works fine for you all.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: XTensions modules”