Item style; Item style 1; Item style 2

Discuss QuarkXTensions® and third-party XTensions® software
sandcastler

Post by sandcastler » 16 Sep 2009, 05:00

Start out with just three styles: Picture frame; Figure frame; Caption frame

After a while I notice there are many in the palette:

Picture frame; Picture frame 1; Picture frame 2; Picture frame 3; Figure frame; Figure frame 1; ... etc.

Touch an item which is governed by one of the new item styles. Name in palette shows bold, and red.
(Bold meaning implemented; Red meaning different, right?)

and examine why: in the spec of the style a wrong colors for the frame color.
This behavior for the several Item styles I have in the document.
Frustrated, I fix the Item style definitions and delete all Item styles to prevent it happening again.
(replace with no style)
This happened with 8 files saved independently with same project specs. Has now occured on a second book also.

Some copy and pasting in the document. But Item Styles not edited. These things just showed up. Why?
This isn't a feature I have failed to appreciate, is it?

XPert ItemStyles 2.2 in QXP7.5 on OSX10.4.11 on PPC G5

sandcastler

Post by sandcastler » 21 Sep 2009, 03:42

The changes to the Item Style spec is always to the color. I wonder whether the color names are a problem? The projects I'm working with have names where the colors are grouped into similar hues and called e.g., "R4:10c100m60y" which is a red with those CMYK values. You think that colon could be the cause of the trouble?

sandcastler

Post by sandcastler » 23 Oct 2009, 06:13

1. Further attentiveness to behavior of Item Styles. They continue to regenerate after deleting them from the document. But nothing is using them. Where do they come from? Why can't they stay deleted?

2. When an Item Style contains too much information, as when for example, a new style is made from an example styled locally, and unwanted spec information is not unchecked, such as the depth of a box, when one wishes the depth of the boxes made using the Item Style to vary, even if one starts out at the standard depth but increase the depth to accomodate more text, when cut and pasted, the Item Style spec of depth is reintroduced to that item. This behavior is different from that of Paragraph Style Sheets, where local styling is preserved during a cut and paste.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: XTensions modules”