Quark crashes when importing text with Xtags

Discuss QuarkXTensions® and third-party XTensions® software
MandaPanda

Post by MandaPanda » 27 Jan 2009, 09:39

I'm trying to import a .tab file into a template in Quark Xpress 7 (for Mac) using Xtags. However, whenever I go to File > Import Text with Xtags and then select the file I want to import, Quark pauses for a moment and then crashes.
The .tab file I am trying to import was created in Filemaker and cleaned up in BBEdit. I have tried saving it in text format to see if that would make a difference, but Quark still crashed when I tried to import it.
I have imported a different file into a different template with Xtags, and it did not crash. Also, someone else using the same .tab file and the same template tried it on a different computer, and theirs did not crash.
Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening?

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 28 Jan 2009, 03:12

I'm no expert on Xtags, but I'm thinking... Maybe the file is calling on a font that is either corrupt or missing on this particular Mac?

MandaPanda

Post by MandaPanda » 28 Jan 2009, 06:33

eyoungren wrote:I'm no expert on Xtags, but I'm thinking... Maybe the file is calling on a font that is either corrupt or missing on this particular Mac?

I looked into that, but my computer has exactly the same fonts as the other one, and no missing font messages are coming up when I open the template. The fonts that are used in the file are ones I use regularly; I've never had any problems with them. Also, I did a scan of the fonts with Suitcase Fusion and it says that they are not corrupted.

Tami Stodghill

Post by Tami Stodghill » 28 Jan 2009, 08:41

Sounds like an XTension conflict or possibly the Xtags versions are different or the QXP versions are slightly different. Be sure to check you are running the correct version. I forwarded your question to Em's support. They are GREAT about customer service by the way:)

charlieartist

Post by charlieartist » 30 Mar 2009, 14:37

I was having the same problem. Contacted Em--found out it has to do with Quark's long document handling, not Xtags. I have a directory job with over 18,000 entries (sorted two ways, so the final count is around 37,000). So, I simply kept good count, and imported in lots of 1,000. A bit annoying, granted, but it does work...P.S.--This was also using Quark 7, and the data was a .csv file exported from Excel...

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: XTensions modules”