Interactive PDF. How do you do this?

Discuss Interactive Design & Flash® (SWF) Export inside QuarkXPress 7, 8 & 9.
Exchange ideas, share helpful tips and get started with your first interactive design.
Please note that Flash (SWF) authoring is not supported in QuarkXPress 10 anymore.
PCG Design

Post by PCG Design » 18 May 2009, 05:03

Hopefully someone can help me here... I have a project where I need an interactive PDF. This is an example of what functionality the client wants: http://www.airbus.com.cn/doc/catalogue/appli.htm Is this just a huge flash piece or is there an actual way you can export this out of indesign/quark with this type of functionality? If anyone knows anything about how is can be accomplished please let me know.

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 18 May 2009, 05:08

Hi, PCG,
it's not an interactive PDF; it's Flash.
You can build a SWF (Flash) in QuarkXPress 8 or in Interactive Designer (in QuarkXPress 7), yes.

Best
Matthias

PCG Design

Post by PCG Design » 18 May 2009, 05:19

Thank you very much for clearing that up.So you're saying I can build the whole thing in Interactive Designer and export it? or is there still flash work involved?

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 18 May 2009, 20:38

Hi, PCG,
I am a bit lost with your terminology. When you say "flash work" you mean Adobe Flash coding? If that's what you mean, then the answer is: The intention of Quark Interactive Designer (built into QuarkXPress 8) is to create Flash (SWF) and NOT require any coding. That makes it easy. It's Flash (SWF) for Designers.
That said, there might be things where coding is required (as you create a complex game or an Internet shop). There you probably need a coding environment like Adobe Flash. Good news are, you can export SWF out of either application and import it (as a movie) into the other. So you could work with both depending on your requirement.
Back to your job requirement.
My Chinese isn't that good, so that I am sure I saw the whole site. So without garantuee: What I saw is possible to do with QuarkXPress. So Page navigation, Movie Players, embed video, menus, sound etc. The only thing I noticed which is not possible is the page flip (curl) effect when advancing pages in the brochure. There are other effects available in QuarkXPress, they might be sufficient.
Give it a try, the Test Drive is free of charge and works without restriction (also with Chinese typography) for 60 days:
http://8.quark.com/evaluation.html
The Test Drive also exports SWF (= Flash).
Best
Matthias

PCG Design

Post by PCG Design » 19 May 2009, 03:00

Thank you this is what I needed to know. You were right when you interpreted "flash work" as flash coding. I think I understand how this works now, what I can't do in quark I can do in flash and import into quark as an swf file.Thanks again

richryd

Post by richryd » 28 May 2014, 17:24

Can I revive this discussion?I am trying to import an interactive pdf and none of the filled in field appear.What am I doing wrong here?

Return to “General authoring questions”