Quark 8.x and 9.x Cannot Import SWF Files into Web Page With

Discuss Interactive Design & Flash® (SWF) Export inside QuarkXPress 7, 8 & 9.
Exchange ideas, share helpful tips and get started with your first interactive design.
Please note that Flash (SWF) authoring is not supported in QuarkXPress 10 anymore.
Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 06 Jul 2011, 03:58

That is not a reasonable workaround considering the fact that Quark promotes QXP as a web design tool and that this problem has been consistent through QXP 8.x and 9.x (demo) on all iterations of OS 10.6 running on my mid-2010 Mac Pro using all updates of Flash Player/plugin during this same period. Quark has known about this problem for quite awhile from just me (chat sessions) and I cannot be the only person in the world who cannot work with Quark *.swf files on my Mac Pro. A more definitive reply is appropriate.

Kanav

Post by Kanav » 07 Jul 2011, 00:14

Could you please tell me that how do you uninstall the flash plugin? Please download Adobe Flash Player Uninstaller and run it. Then install the Flash Plugin and launch QuarkXPress. Create a web layout and drag and drop .swf file from your machine to web layout. Invoke Modify dialog and change Export As SWF and preview it in browser or export it.

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 07 Jul 2011, 03:53

I did download the uninstaller, used it, and it informed me that the application was successfully uninstalled. Upon examination, however, it had not uninstalled and I manually removed all iterations of Flash Player and Plugin before installing the latest version. No luck. The drop and drag crashes Quark XPress the instant that I drop the file...

sculco76

Post by sculco76 » 08 Sep 2011, 08:29

I have also tried all these options and have yet to figure out why the .swf file doesn't either import, drag and drop, or drag and drop from the shared content menu. I have been reading all these threads and none have solved the problem. Does anyone have a way to get an .swf file into their web layout? I was going to try the version 9, but it looks like Moyssi already tried that. So much time wasted on this already, I'm losing faith.

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 08 Sep 2011, 09:20

I havent lost faith in Quark yet, and not likely to do so anytime soon because I have seen and worked with the alternatives and they are not good. Re our problem with importing those *.swf files, the only solution that works is to run another copy of Quark on a Tiger machine and use that to import/place the *.swf file. You can do everything else in Snow Leopard. The productivity factor of working with Quark makes even the purchase of a pre-intel box solely for that purpose quite worthwhile.
However, I am very worried about the recent acquisition of Quark. We will all have to stay tuned...

Susancea

Post by Susancea » 22 Oct 2012, 07:47

I am having a similar issue. My files don't freeze but I cannot import a Quark Created SWF file (what functions file independently) into a HTML file I have. I also followed Kanav's step by step above (by drop and drag) and it is still not functioning. Even his steps in modifyAny ideas... really need this file to work... this week!!!

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 22 Oct 2012, 08:25

It was never clear to me whether this issue was an Apple, Adobe or Quark problem, but it is not a problem with v 9.3.

pasmal

Post by pasmal » 27 Oct 2012, 00:17

same problem with interactive project. Importing, assigning a swf file, xpress crash(xpress 9.3, flash player 11.2, mac os 10.7.5)

anibalvee

Post by anibalvee » 15 Jan 2013, 08:33

Hello Moysi, I understand that you solved your problem, could you tell me how you manage? I have the same problem.Mac os x 10.6.8quark 9.5flash player 10.2.1pluging flash 11.5and it also tried in w7, with the same results

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 15 Jan 2013, 09:44

Hello Anibalvee. As I recall, the problem erupted when I routinely updated both the Apple OS and the Flash plug-in while I was still working with Quark 8.x. Quark humored me with extended but superficial tech support which, although infinitely better than Adobe's tech support, led to nothing but very temporary workarounds that failed as soon as Adobe updated its Flash plugin. Apple tech support was as unhelpful as it was unflappable. For whatever spectrum of reasons, I eventually formed the opinion that the real culprit was a glitch in the Apple OS, which neither application developer could resolve on their own. The issue was ultimately resolved, for me at least, with the release of Quark 9.x, which seems to be very stable. I am currently and happily using Quark 9.3 on a mid-2010 dual quadcore MacPro running OS 10.6.8 and have no problems with anything. SWF files import nicely into Quark web pages still. I like this level of stability, so I will not "upgrade" Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion.
Regarding Quark 9.5, what is it? Quark's website is virtually opaque on the subject, and my Quark updater informs me that my copy of 9.3 is already up-to-date. That suggests at least a possibility that version 9.5 is optimized for Mountain Lion, which may be the cause of your problem. Have you tried returning to 9.3?

Return to “General authoring questions”