Quark 8.x and 9.x Cannot Import SWF Files into Web Page With

Discuss Interactive Design & Flash® (SWF) Export inside QuarkXPress 7, 8 & 9.
Exchange ideas, share helpful tips and get started with your first interactive design.
Please note that Flash (SWF) authoring is not supported in QuarkXPress 10 anymore.
Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 15 Jan 2013, 21:45

Hi Moyssi,
as I stated here: t/21811.aspx the first version that is supported under Mountain Lion is QuarkXPress 9.3.1, a free update for all 9.x users.
Thanks
Matthias

Jim Terrinoni

Post by Jim Terrinoni » 28 Jan 2013, 10:45

Quark crashes when importing an interactive file (.swf, .mov) to a Quark Interactive file. I have been working with Quark Tech people for the past week and no solutions yet. Present system: Quark 9.5 on a MacBook Pro OS 10.7.5 Lion. I tried returning to Quark 9.2 with no luck. Today I went back to a Quark Interactive file that successfully exported a QuickTime movie in 2008 and which ran on the Web. Now using the same Quark file trying to import the original .mov file I receive the error message: "You can't open the application FlashVideoExporter because PowerPC applications are no longer supported." Which is true in Macintosh OS 10.7.5 Lion.The OS that was on the hard drive when the file was successfully created did support PowerPC.I have the latest updates for Flash Plugin (11.something)The answer must lie in the question - How do you export a Quark Interactive file, other than to Exporter Adobe Flash?

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 28 Jan 2013, 11:29

Thank you Matthias, but my curiosity regarding 9.5 goes to Quarks web project tools. I am practically an evangelist for 9.x because it is such an efficient, comprehensive design tool with so many publishing capabilities, all with a single, nicely designed user-interface. Its not perfect; nothing is, but it beats the Tower of Babel that is Adobe Creative Suite for 90-95% of our work. Can you tell us what Quark may have in mind for its future website tools?

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 01 Feb 2013, 22:42

Hi Moyssi,
unfortunately it is not Quark's policy to disclose future roadmaps publicly, so I am afraid I can't. If you are interested though, we can see whether you could participate in a pre-release program once we have one (currently there's none).
For Web, the only thing I can tell you is that we'll of course support HTML5, as we are using the current web export mechanism in our App Studio export, so we have already changed a lot of the "table" export to state-of-the-art "div" export.
Thanks
Matthias

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 02 Feb 2013, 09:43

HTML5 is good, perhaps overdue, and yes, I would like to participate in any prerelease program that may be available to me.

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 03 Feb 2013, 01:48

Hi Moyssi,
great, can you please send me your contact details (realname, address, email, phone) via email? Simply use the contact button above this post.
Thank you
Matthias

Jimpo

Post by Jimpo » 11 Feb 2013, 09:14

Same problem here. I have tried the (reasonable) workarounds offered in this thread to no avail. Obviously I am not going to go out and buy another computer just to incorporate Flash into my web layouts. Especially since Quark says this is one of the features of the program. My details...I was using the Quark Ed module for website design. When I tried to import the Flash file - it bombed. I tried it a couple different ways (blank page, drag and drop, etc...) - nothing works for me - bombs every time. I'm using OSX 10.8.6, Quark 9.3 and Flash 10.1.5... although from what I can tell - none of that makes any difference. Seems like everyone has the problem no matter what version(s) they're using.I do not understand how one person can get it to work and no one else can.

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 11 Feb 2013, 12:15

Jimpo, We never "upgraded" to Mountain Lion because it seemed weird to trade all the operational stability of Snow Leopard for the look and feel of a mobile device on a 27" monitor. Apple seems to be trying to convert its mobile users who also use PCs to the Mac, but it is just plain nutty to use the same interface on a postage stamp-sized mobile device and a billboard-sized graphics monitor if the viewer is looking at both from roughly the same distance. Hopefully Sir Jony will come to the rescue.
In any case, the Flash function in Quark 9.3 works fine on OS 10.6.8 even after making all of the routine OS and Flash updates. I am not surprised that Quark hicupped on Mountain Lion because Apple has definitely forgotten those of us who buy their most expensive products. Also, I certainly wish that Quark would realize that its most loyal customers depend on it for their livelihoods, and they need to retain functionality as Apple marches blindly on.

Jimpo

Post by Jimpo » 11 Feb 2013, 13:22

Moyssi - sorry, my mistake. I am currently using Snow Leopard - 10.6.8 (I transposed the version numbers before). This is my set-up...MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7 (I believe it was purchased in mid-2011)OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)Quark 9.3Flash Player 11,5,502,136 (That's from Adobe's Flash site which checks your system automatically)The Quark Flash import does not work for me. I tried every solution in this thread multiple times. From what I can see in this thread - you are the only person who can get it to work, so you must be doing something the rest of us are not - or have some plug-in or other fix we don't.Any help would be appreciated. Can't believe this problem is not solvable with an easy plug-in or bug fix of some kind.

Jimpo

Post by Jimpo » 11 Feb 2013, 13:45

Don't know if it helps, but here is the Quark crash report. I tried to import the Flash file a couple different ways and got the same crash report each time.Process: QuarkXPress [870]Path: /Applications/QuarkXPress 9/QuarkXPress.app/Contents/MacOS/QuarkXPressIdentifier: com.quark.QuarkXPressVersion: 9.3.0.0 (9.3.0.0)Code Type: X86 (Native)Parent Process: launchd [95]Architecture: i386Date/Time: 2013-02-11 19:40:35.564 -0500OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)Report Version: 6Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Return to “General authoring questions”