Quark 8.x and 9.x Cannot Import SWF Files into Web Page With

Discuss Interactive Design & Flash® (SWF) Export inside QuarkXPress 7, 8 & 9.
Exchange ideas, share helpful tips and get started with your first interactive design.
Please note that Flash (SWF) authoring is not supported in QuarkXPress 10 anymore.
Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 12 Feb 2013, 05:32

Jimpo, Im no techie but Im a natural-born button-pusher and lever-puller with a lot of energy so I solve computer problems in the way that an infinite number of chimpanzees playing with typewriters can author a novel. (It's actually a great creative tool too.) My experience with this problem, like all computer problems, is that you must stick with any combination of hardware and software that works and resist all temptation to change anything at all.
If I recall correctly, we could create and import SWF animations in Quark 8.x on a variety of G4 and G5 Mac towerss running Tiger (10.4.11 -- very stable OS). When we migrated to the Intel-based Mac Pro with Leopard, the SWF import function crashed Quark. We tried all the workarounds but nothing worked. While we were banging our heads against the wall, our original Mac Pro tower failed, and Apple replaced it under warranty with a new Snow Leopard-native Mac Pro tower at the same time that we upgraded to Quark 9.x. Quark 9.x performed flawlessly on the mid-2010 Mac Pro tower (not laptop) running 10.6.x. By the way, if you are experiencing any other behavioral issues with your computer, you may want to consider the possibility that there is a hardware defect.
When I was troubleshooting this problem, I noted from my many conversations with Apple and Quark tech support (Adobe tech support was MIA as usual) that there are important differences between desktop and laptop iterations having to do with builds and firmware. I eventually formed an opinion that Apple altered something in the OS that Quark relies on for its SWF function, and it cannot easily be addressed by the application developer. I further opined that Apple and/or Adobe keeps changing something that interferes with Quark's SWF function and that Quark is simply leapfrogging the issue by, hopefully, providing a reliable HTML5 solution in its next release. I am comfortable with that line of thinking because Flash, which we really should not be using for websites, is a security hazard that needs constant attention, which means constant change. Change is good for hadrware and software manufacturers but bad for their customers who require stability in order to function efficiently. At some point, there will hopefully be another stable Quark-Apple combination that performs flawlessly. When that happens, stick with it.
In the meantime, I cannot overemphasize my simple suggestion that you purchase a used G5 from a company such as Gainsaver for 150 bucks, install Tiger and Quark 8.x and everything will work just fine. Even if you use that machine just to import your SWF files, it will take less dollars, time, and energy than any other solution that I can imagine. Quark is the most important tool in our creative toolbox, so we maintain a fully functional G5 just in case Apple or Adobe breaks the code that Quark needs in some future security update for Snow Leopard. Again, this is all experienced but not technically educated opinio.
Not what you wanted to hear, I know, but it gets the job done.

Jimpo

Post by Jimpo » 12 Feb 2013, 08:36

Moyssi - I appreciate the response. I'm like you, I'd rather use the same stable system for as long as possible rather than update to something shaky and unreliable. In that respect - I don't even own Quark 8. My last version was Q6 which is up and running on my 12-yr-old G4 (which I still use daily) - I jumped Q7 and Q8 up to Q9. However, eventually one has to upgrade and that is how I got where I am now. I don't want to buy another old machine because I would have to set that one up and for all I know - run into the same problems (or worse). I don't own Tiger or Q8 or any of the other items I would need to set-up another full-on system. Plus I have TWO generations of machines behind this one already - the G4 and a G3 (with Q5). I want to downsize - not add more outdated tech. IOW - that is not a reasonable solution.As to who's fault it is, I've been around long enough to know Adobe doesn't do any favors for Quark users. However - that said - the program is Quark. If there is a problem and a fix is required - it is Quark's responsibility. That's the game you have to play when you use Adobe's technology. With all the people having problems in this thread (and others I've seen on the net) - Quark should be working on a fix of some kind. If they want to jump to HTML 5 - fine. Anything is better than nothing. But if they are going to claim we can import flash files - we should be able to import them. Case closed. I'm not doing anything crazy here - I have a fairly standard set-up. There is nothing wrong with my system - it's a very stable set-up and has given me very little (if any) problems up to now. I don't have any other problems with Quark (or Adobe or Apple) as far as I can tell - only this one glitch. So the answer is to fix the glitch - not trash everything and build a whole new system with outdated tech around a very small problem. Sorry. Quark needs to do something - the software is brand new and up to date.

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 13 Feb 2013, 05:53

Jimpo, We are on the same page as far as Quark goes: they should not advertise what they are not willing to support. On the flip side, Quark runs rings around its competition, even with the defective swf function.
We discovered the HTML export in Q6 which was, as I recall, undocumented, when we were designing a website and were looking for a way to streamline the design-approval-implementation process. We were then designing web pages in Photoshop and having trouble communicating our ideas with our client and our web engineer when my partner suggested that we export our page layouts to pdf in order to add functional links so that everyone could get the feel of the navigation system along with the layout. Good idea except that we would have to create the links in Acobat which, like all Adobe apps, is a bear to work with. That is when I noticed Q6s new export to HTML button, right next to the export to PDF button. What a revelation! All of a sudden, we could generate a fully functional prototype website in the same amount of time that it took to create a paper model. (We could also create pdf files without the hassle of Acrobat.) That prototype proved to be so good that our client could not understand why they should pay an engineer to re-code the site. Compliance was a non-starter issue when compared to appearance, functionality and the speed with which we could actually implement our ideas.
This practical side of Quark is why it runs rings around its competition, and why I can tolerate the loss of the swf functionality. (Quark's traditional weakness is marketing, which is why Adobe's customers do not know what they are missing.) We do not voluntarily use Flash on our B2B websites for a variety of reasons, but when our clients ask for it, Quark is usually the way to go. Unfortunately, the code broke with various updates to the Mac OS and Flash. If Quark provides sufficiently robust HTML5 tools in the next release, then this temporary lapse is just one of lifes endless hurdles. Let me give you an example that turned me into a patient person. We reached a point where our hodge-podge of computers, operating systems and applications drove me nuts, so we replaced the whole shebang with a brace of dual-processor G4s loaded with the same OS and apps. Not long after, the office was struck by a bolt of lightniing, literally, and it blew everything up. So our moment of computer-environmental harmony lasted for barely a month. Now I am happy to have legacy computers to back up our production schedule when Apple breaks code that its independent application developers cannot readily fix.
If you already have a functioning G4, try to find a copy of Tiger and upgrade to 10.4.11 which is a very nice OS that is incredibily stable. It is much better than everything that came before it. I believe that we have a spare copy of G8. If our license allows me to transfer it to you (Matthias?), I will be happy to do so for the cost of a FedEx envelope to send it to you. Q8 and Q9 are extremely similar in look and feel, so you will have no problem importing your Q9 web layout (as a Q8 project) into Q8 on the G4. Insert your swf files in Q8 and save. Open that file in Q9 and continue as usual. It's really a very simple and solid solution to this one problem. Of course I cannot guarantee anything, but I can say that we had no swf import issues on any combination of Q8 and G4 and G5 desktop computers that we had, and I am not even sure that you need Tiger if Q8 runs on an earlier OS.
Is there a way for us to communicate directly without publishing our private email addresses?

Jimpo

Post by Jimpo » 13 Feb 2013, 11:55

Moyssi - appreciate the offer! I just sent you a private message with more info. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Litho

Post by Litho » 10 Mar 2013, 11:37

Hi:I am using Quark 9.5 and am struggling to create a web site which incorporates Flash (actually, I just want a simple self running slide show on my home page, but Flash is the only way in Quark that I can find to do that). My roadblocks are as follows:A) If I import my simple slideshow (SVL created in Quark) into the non interactive HTML, the program crashes. This is my solution of choice, running the slide show in the HTML version as the Interactive version seems to present a whole myriad of issues (see below).B) If I duplicate my HTML site and make it interactive, I encounter the following:1) I lose design flexibility such as various page lengths and the possibilities of varying the color scheme for each page (One background color is allowed)2) I am not longer able to export to HTML, but can only export to Flash and that means: a) I lose fidelity and resolution when I post the flash page b) the slideshow itself ironically disappears, begging the question "why am I in interactive in the first place, since I can't have the slide show anyhow?"I can view the HTML by pressing the button at the bottom and everything works okay, so maybe if I could discover how to capture and upload that which goes to the preview area?So my questions are:1) Is there a way to import a simple SVL into a Quark HTML layout?2) If I must work with the Interactive Layout, is there a way to export to HTML so that I can put up the same layout that I see in the preview mode?Further questions:1) How can I get the options under HTML5 offered as they are currently not available? How do I get those options turned on?2) I watched a tutorial to try to solve some of these issues and the instructor said that you must be in Digital Publishing for the Interactivity to work in his application, but "Digital Publishing" is not available to me. How do I get that turned on?Thanks for your help!:-) Gloria

MarkyS

Post by MarkyS » 25 May 2013, 02:55

HI fellow sufferers! This is my first post so I hope it helps.I have Mountain Lion 10.8.3 and Quark 9.5 and have finally found a workaround for this problem. It involves switching a couple of plug ins every time you need to import .swf files, then switching back to revert to normal use. Takes a few seconds, but saves so much trouble.You need to uninstall Flash Player first. Then download the old Flash Player 10.1, install it, go to 'Library - Internet Plug ins' get the 2 files 'Flash Player.plugin' and 'flashplayer.xpt', copy them to a folder somewhere for future use when required. Try Quark import of SWF files now with these older plug ins - it will work either way, drag onto page or import to a picture box set at the same size as the .swf file.You can now upgrade flash player to the latest version again. Copy those 2 new Internet plug ins to a folder.So, now when you want to import SWFs into Quark, switch to the old plug ins, and switch back to the new ones afterwards, you can leave the rest of Flash in its latest form, its only the 2 files that need to change. Magic!

MarkyS

Post by MarkyS » 25 May 2013, 04:02

Re above, the very latest Flash Player has scuppered it! You have to uninstall and revert back to 10.1 completely now. Still only takes a couple of minutes once you have the downloads.

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 25 May 2013, 04:18

Anybody get the feeling that Adobe is deliberately sabotaging this Quark feature?

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 25 May 2013, 04:20

I surely hope that Quark 10 encorporates HTML5 to bypasses this whole Flash dependency. Apple certainly is doing its part.

Jimson

Post by Jimson » 25 May 2013, 08:21

Marky S - My set-up is Mac 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard? I can't keep track of all the nicknames) and my Flash is 10.1.52.14 (Geez - whatever happened to single digit updates?) Do I have to be using Flash 10.1 (no .52.14) or does it matter? If so - where did you get the older version of Flash? I feel like the last poster - Adobe is just going out of their way to screw us Q users in order to lock down every graphic artist into their creative cloud monthly rip-off.BTW, my previous name was Jimpo - I'm the guy who started the thread.

Return to “General authoring questions”