Quark 8.x and 9.x Cannot Import SWF Files into Web Page With

Discuss Interactive Design & Flash® (SWF) Export inside QuarkXPress 7, 8 & 9.
Exchange ideas, share helpful tips and get started with your first interactive design.
Please note that Flash (SWF) authoring is not supported in QuarkXPress 10 anymore.
MarkyS

Post by MarkyS » 25 May 2013, 11:20

Hi Jimson, I've been thwarted by Flash! I now have to download the uninstaller from Adobe, uninstall Flash, Quark works fine, then reinstall it (the latest version) to see my results. It is a pain but only takes about a minute.

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 25 May 2013, 12:50

Jimson My set-up is also 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) and Quark v9.3 has been performing the SWF-import function flawlessly on the rare occasions that we have needed it even though I installed every Flash update.

Jimson

Post by Jimson » 25 May 2013, 15:30

Moyssi - We discussed this earlier - on the board here and thru emails. My old log-in was Jimpo (can't get on with that name now for some reason). I never could get the flash import to work with Q9.3 - I've updated to Q9.5 in the meantime since our last discussion and it's still not working for me. Quite frankly, I just gave up. I got Marky's update message and it sounded promising - but I already have flash 10.1 and it's never worked for me. Quark support basically told me they would take it under advisement 3 months ago and that was the last I heard from them. You seem to be the only one who knows how to get it to work - so you must be blessed or something.

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 26 May 2013, 04:58

Ah, Jimson, Adobe has finally jinxed me too! We rarely want to incorporate Flash into our HTML websites (for security reasons), but we maintain a fully functional G5 which remains capable of importing SWF files into Quark 8.x documents, so it is not a real problem for us. But, after reading your last comment, I tried to import an SWF file into a Quark document in my OS 10.6.8/Q 9.3 environment and Quark promptly crashed. I did a routine Adobe update just two days ago, so that should not have surprised me. I guess we shall all have to follow MarkSs advice now. Lets just hope that Quark fully implements HTML5 in v10.

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 26 May 2013, 05:04

We are looking to avoid Adobe altogether now that they have decided to move to an all-vaporware model of customer disservice. Corels board of directors is reevaluating development on the Mac platform, which could give us a professional replacement for Photoshop, which is all that is necessary at this point. I suspect (hope) that Quark is working hard on a comprehensive v10 that will truly provide a complete alternative to Adobe.

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 26 May 2013, 06:39

DOES ANYONE KNOW where to find Adobe Flash Player 10.1 for Mac?

Jimson

Post by Jimson » 26 May 2013, 07:36

My question too.Glad to hear you're not falling for Adobe's plan to lock us into a perpetual payment plan. They're obviously doing that because people have been deciding more often than not to skip the latest update of their bloatware. That's one of the reasons I've stuck with Quark this whole time - because I know how Adobe operates - it's been all about the money for them since the mid-90s. I too hope Corel can fix the problems with Draw and give us an alternative. Another one is Pixelmator which I've heard is a good basic photo program.

MarkyS

Post by MarkyS » 26 May 2013, 08:56

Google older flash versions

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 26 May 2013, 08:59

I have, and every link takes me to the most current version. Can you provide a link to a safe 10.1 download?

MarkyS

Post by MarkyS » 26 May 2013, 09:08

I could email you it, but I now think its best to uninstall it, do your work then reinstall. It takes just a minute or so. Ridiculous isn't it! Such a surprise when you just drag an swf file and it appears without any fuss!

Return to “General authoring questions”