Quark 8.x and 9.x Cannot Import SWF Files into Web Page With

Discuss Interactive Design & Flash® (SWF) Export inside QuarkXPress 7, 8 & 9.
Exchange ideas, share helpful tips and get started with your first interactive design.
Please note that Flash (SWF) authoring is not supported in QuarkXPress 10 anymore.
MarkyS

Post by MarkyS » 26 May 2013, 09:08

I could email you it, but I now think its best to uninstall it, do your work then reinstall. It takes just a minute or so. Ridiculous isn't it! Such a surprise when you just drag an swf file and it appears without any fuss!

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 26 May 2013, 09:20

I would appreciate it if you email it to me via this console. I am all set up to uninstall, but do not have Flash Player 10.1 for Mac (10.6.8) nor the two plugins that you mention, Flash Player.plugin and flashplayer.xpt. If you have an installer rather than a link, I will email you an address.

MarkyS

Post by MarkyS » 26 May 2013, 10:52

Quicker to just uninstall Flash, do your work then reinstall. Not sure what's changed but my workaround has stopped working. It was working perfectly, I've had a few updates and it would seem that something has changed! I now keep the uninstaller and the installer on my desktop. Crazy situation.

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 26 May 2013, 11:11

That is a very interesting website. I downloaded the file and it certainly looks to be the right one. As I understand, all I do is uninstall what is now there and install this, then, when I am done with my work, uninstall this and reinstall the most current version. Inconvenient, certainly, but not a big deal. Thanks!

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 26 May 2013, 11:18

Whoa! Did I miss something? Are you saying that all I have to do is uninstall Flash Player, and that I will be able to import swf files into my Quark documents while Flash remains uninstalled? And that I will be able to install the current version of Flash and be able to preview and export to HTML? That would nice.

Jimson

Post by Jimson » 26 May 2013, 12:04

Okay, I tried the first method (swapping pref files) - did not work for me. Same results... Q crashed. So I tried the next method - uninstalling Flash player, then building the Q file and exporting - then reinstalling Flash player. Apparently the file imports into Quark - although I'm not sure. There is no preview, the picture box is just white. And when I export it to HTML and put it in the browser? Nothing. The swf file doesn't show up at all. Again - I'm using the files Quark provides in their tutorial, so that shouldn't be a problem. OTOH, I've never gotten this far before - at least Quark doesn't bomb when I try to import. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Should I treat swf files any different than a regular photo file? I should get some kind of preview - no? Am I missing something here?

Jimson

Post by Jimson » 26 May 2013, 12:17

Definitely not working for me. I went back to the Quark tutorial and followed the directions step by step. I wasn't doing anything wrong before - it just doesn't work. The tutorial claims when you import an swf file - it automatically resizes to the box. My picture box does not have a preview and the picture that is (supposedly) "importing" (the swf file) does not resize to the box - you can see the outlines and resize handles of the swf that is supposed to be there. I end up with a white box with a mystery photo outline that is not resizing. When I go to HTML preview - nothing. Just a white box. In order to double, triple, quadruple check I went back and did another uninstall/install on Flash. Still nothing. I dropped the naked swf file by itself into my browser - works fine by itself. So I don't know what's up, but - as much as I'd like to hang this one on Adobe - it seems to me that (at least in my particular case) all signs are pointing at Quark now.

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 26 May 2013, 12:17

Thas very interesting Jimson. My experience from swf-functional versions of 8.x and 9.x is that a successfully imported swf files looks like an empty picture box. It should however preview properly from your Quark page layout. Without Flash installed, I cant imagine how you could preview in a browser.With Flash reinstalled, the exported page should view and play properly in the browser. One question, are you sure that you uninstalled the Flash plug-ins for ALL of your browsers. It might still be lurking somewhere. That is also something important that I forgot. The Flash application may be stored in your application folder, but the plug-ins get installed in a variety of places, including, if I recall correctly, Quark. Now we have to think this thing all through again. Argh.

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 26 May 2013, 12:19

Another thing, Jimson. I always made my swf files to the size of the box into which they would be imported. It did resize automatically in 8.x but I think that everything became more reliable in 9.x when designed to fit.

Return to “General authoring questions”