Quark 8.x and 9.x Cannot Import SWF Files into Web Page With

Discuss Interactive Design & Flash® (SWF) Export inside QuarkXPress 7, 8 & 9.
Exchange ideas, share helpful tips and get started with your first interactive design.
Please note that Flash (SWF) authoring is not supported in QuarkXPress 10 anymore.
Jimson

Post by Jimson » 26 May 2013, 12:37

You obviously misunderstood me. I uninstalled Flash, created the Quark HTML, saved it, reinstalled Flash, tried the HTML file in my browser - nothing. I then went back to Quark, tried to preview it that way - also nothing. At the same time, I dropped the naked swf file into the browser - that works. So Flash is working. The Quark HTML file is not. The one interesting aspect - as long as I keep Quark open - I can continue to import the swf file (even though Flash is now re-installed). However, as soon as I quit and restart - it crashes on import again.

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 26 May 2013, 12:53

Okay, I admit that it is late on a working holiday Sunday and I am brain dead. I had no doubt that the swf file would play directly in Flash Player. Quark makes a good swf (but not fla) file. The problem always manifested in the import-to-a-picture-box- in-a-layout stage, which is dependent on Flash Player and its plug-ins. I understand what you are saying now, and that is a new situation. Change is not necessarily improvment but it at least suggests that there may be something new to work with. I will have to have a serious go at this when I am well rested. I tested this function just a week ago and it worked. Less than a week ago, a client asked me to create a new animation which will require me to import that swf file into a Quark document. Today I learned that I am in the same boat with you again. Perhaps we will sort this thing out soon. More likely not, but I will try.

Jimson

Post by Jimson » 26 May 2013, 13:08

Same here. You did give me a new idea - but I've had enough for today. I'll look at it again tomorrow or Tuesday.

Subatomic

Post by Subatomic » 13 Jul 2013, 06:57

Some good news for all while we wait for Quark's HTML5 switchover...
Flash player version 10.3.183.90 does the full trick: allows import SWF files and export to HTML perfectly in QXP 9.5.2 without crash. Safari shuts the plug-in down, but Firefox has no complaints.
Performing great on MacMini 2011 and MacbookAir 2012. Both on Mountain Lion.
Download from: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/ ... 20archives
It's the 4th down, and says Mac Only in parantheses...
Lemme know...

Enjoy!

omegaman

Post by omegaman » 13 Jul 2013, 13:45

Have you looked at Hype or Motion composer or Adobe Edge Animate for developing HTML5 compliant animations rather than Flash.

Subatomic

Post by Subatomic » 14 Jul 2013, 06:40

Thanks for the pointers, I took a look at Hype and MC. Though they look good, I'm still hoping we'll be able to do this from within QXP very soon so that non-coders like me can continue to have a one-stop way to create simple websites witht the latest tech.

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 16 Jul 2013, 13:35

I was unable to try 10.3.183.90 because I was unable to uninstall my existing Flash Player 10.2.153.1 using the uninstaler app. It informed me that it successfully performed the uninstall, but it left everything intact. So I manually deleted Flash Player, but now the installer will not work: It says that it successfully installed Flash Player 10.3.183.90 but it does not show up anywhere. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Subatomic

Post by Subatomic » 16 Jul 2013, 13:52

My only guess would be to try to install the very latest Flash version, then have its own uninstaller remove it. The lastest installer is probably designed to overwrite all that came before it.... and I know the uninstaller works well, as I've used it several times...
If it works, I would expect installing 10.3 should go fine.
Hope this helps...

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 16 Jul 2013, 14:28

Thank you. Can you tell me where, exactly, the Flash Player application should be found if it installs properly?

Subatomic

Post by Subatomic » 16 Jul 2013, 14:35

Like all later ones, 10.3 already puts and icon in System Preferences, so that's how you know it installed. The uninstaller should be in Applications/Utilities as "Adobe Flash Player Install Manager"

Return to “General authoring questions”