Quark 8.x and 9.x Cannot Import SWF Files into Web Page With

Discuss Interactive Design & Flash® (SWF) Export inside QuarkXPress 7, 8 & 9.
Exchange ideas, share helpful tips and get started with your first interactive design.
Please note that Flash (SWF) authoring is not supported in QuarkXPress 10 anymore.
Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 16 Jul 2013, 14:50

This is weird. After manually uninstalling as best I could, I insstalled 10.3.183.90. It did not appear anywhere, but Flash worked in Firefox and then I tried it in Quark 9.3 (OS 10.6.8) and the SWF import function works without crashing Quark! Terrific! But I cannot find the Flash Player application nor the uninstaller anywhere and I cannot find the icon is system preferences. Perhaps I should be grateful for magic and leave it at that, but an absent app that functions gives me the woolies.

Subatomic

Post by Subatomic » 16 Jul 2013, 15:10

I don't have a system around running 10.6, so I can't test it, but the pref pane not showing up in System Preferences may have to do with the diff between 10.6 and 10.8 Although I doubt it, so I don't know...
But it's great that you too find Quark not crashing anymore.

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 17 Jul 2013, 03:55

Magic turns out to be temporary. After restarting my computer today, Quark no longer imports swf files without crashing.

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 17 Jul 2013, 07:36

UPDATE: I uninstalled Flash Player with the Uninstaller app and thought that I had deleted Flash Player from everywhere, but suddenly the SWF import function began to work flawlessly in Q9.3 wihtout Flash Player being installed. It turns out that there is a copy of Flash Player 10 (10,0,22,87) in Home/Applications/Quark 8/Xtensions/Forinteractive/FlashPlayer.app (my archival copy of Q8) and that Quark 9.3 managed to find it. It works like a charm. I moved that old version of Flash Player into the Forinteractive folder in Q9 and it works fine from there too.
I then installed Flash Player 11.8.800.94 and, of course, the swf import function crashed Quark. I then uninstalled Flash Player 11.8.800.94 and Q9.3 again located the old copy of Flash in the Q8 Forinteractive folder and all was well. Quite a workaround but it is fast and works reliably
Thank you Subatomic!

Subatomic

Post by Subatomic » 17 Jul 2013, 10:39

Glad it worked out! I understand now why you asked where the newly installed copy of Flash Player is... you expected it somewhere in the Q folder. But here's the thing: since I had done a clean install of of Q9.5 and never had Q8, there never was an old copy of FP on my computer. There still is, in fact, no FP.app in the Forinsteractive folder on either of my systems, so FP 10.3 must be running from somewhere else. Where, I don't know...

Subatomic

Post by Subatomic » 17 Jul 2013, 10:51

...So just to draw a conclusion, I don't think Q9.5 necessarily expects to find an FP.app in that folder anymore and the existence there of one may interfere with the FP the OS maintains. I would try to temporarily remove the old 10.2 from the folder, and still try to install the 10.3. It is, after all, newer and works great here on two systems, even after multiple reboots...
Just a thought...

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 17 Jul 2013, 11:17

Confucius say Never enough confusion which of course translates in these interesting times to: No conclusion.
I actually expected to find FlashPlayer.app in Home/Applications/Adobe Flash CS5.5/Players/ or Home/Applications/Adobe Flash CS5.5/Players/Release/ which is where both places my previous version of Flash Player (10.2.153.1) was installed. If you recall, the Adobe 10.2 uninstaller was unable to remove that version of the application even though it informed me that it had, so I had to manually remove it. After restarting as per Adobe instrux, the 10.3 version that you recommended did not install even though the installer told me that it had. So, for some reason known only to mischievous gods, the 10.2 uninstaller and the 10.3 installer is incompatible with OS 10.6.8 on my mid-2010 8-core MacPro tower.
Perhaps Adobe is controlling Flash Player from its infamous cloud. Perhaps it is installed as something else to confound hackers. Perhaps Adobe is using Flash Player as some kind of spyware. I have never been able to imagine that the people who direct or operate Adobe have any idea what integrity means. Just my opinion after so many years..but Firefox and Safari and Quark can and do find Flash Player 11 wherever it is hidden.
Food for thought: When Installing v11, the installer forced me to close Quark XPress in order to begin the installation. I do not recall the Flash Player installer ever before asking me to close anything but open browsers... Thoughts?

Subatomic

Post by Subatomic » 18 Jul 2013, 04:00

Well, I'm out of insights. But the main thing is it works....
Now I'm only hoping Q10 will indeed bring at the minimum the same capabilities with HTML5 as we had with Flash...

Moyssi

Post by Moyssi » 18 Jul 2013, 04:08

HTML5 may not be the panacea we hope for. Perhaps a battle of titans: Flash for Web vs HTML5 for eBooks...

Subatomic

Post by Subatomic » 27 Jul 2013, 11:40

Moyssi,
You may be interested in my last post in this thread:
t/33014.aspx?PageIndex=2
Best...

Return to “General authoring questions”