Creating Buttons for Touchscreens

Discuss Interactive Design & Flash® (SWF) Export inside QuarkXPress 7, 8 & 9.
Exchange ideas, share helpful tips and get started with your first interactive design.
Please note that Flash (SWF) authoring is not supported in QuarkXPress 10 anymore.
MarkyBoy

Post by MarkyBoy » 03 Jun 2013, 23:09

Can anyone help?!
I've designed a large interactive project using Quark. My client wants to use the project on a new website geared for tablet users.... The buttons do not work on any touchscreen device.
Does anyone know if you can create buttons that will work on a touchscreen device, more importantly, if it can be done can I change the existing buttons so that they will work?!

shaharaperil

Post by shaharaperil » 10 Jun 2013, 03:52

Does the touchscreen device you are using support Flash? Because Quark's interactive features are Flash-based, that would be the first question to ask before moving forward. You may have to use Quark's App Studio features to get a finished interactive project that would work on a tablet.

MarkyBoy

Post by MarkyBoy » 10 Jun 2013, 04:39

Hi, yes it does support flash, everything appears correctly except none of the buttons work... Any ideas?

shaharaperil

Post by shaharaperil » 10 Jun 2013, 05:16

A few more questions to see if we can narrow this down:
1. Did you confirm that the buttons do work on a web browser when viewed on a computer?
2. Which version of Quark are you using?
3. How did you create your buttons?
4. What is the touch screen device you are using to test it?
5. Do the buttons on other Flash sites work on that same device?

I have two sites that I created in Quark 9.3's interactive designer and both of the buttons throughout each site do work on my Android phone. So my first guess would be that the device's Flash is not working (which is easy to check by visiting another site with Flash buttons) or that something went wrong with the set-up of the buttons (which you can check by viewing the layout on a computer).

Would you be willing to email me a link to the site?

MarkyBoy

Post by MarkyBoy » 10 Jun 2013, 06:00

Thanks!
1. Yes, buttons work fine on a desktop.
2. Quark 9.5
3. Buttons created using Interactive Designer (creating a new shared layout, selecting simple button and then creating the rollover states etc from within)
4. Android tablet
5. Yes, buttons from other sites using Flash content work fine

I'd have to get my client's permission to share a link, hopefully the above might help you to help me?!
Thanks again.

shaharaperil

Post by shaharaperil » 11 Jun 2013, 05:29

Based on this info, I don't see anything that would be causing that problem.
This kind of thing is hard to troubleshoot without being able to see the file or the site.
But if it's working on a desktop browser, then I can see no reason why it shouldn't also work on a table that supports Flash and has no issues with other Flash sites.

MarkyBoy

Post by MarkyBoy » 11 Jun 2013, 05:40

Sure... Just out of interest, how did you create the buttons for your site.... I have a feeling it's something to do with rollover effect.

Return to “General authoring questions”