ePubs

Discuss Interactive Design & Flash® (SWF) Export inside QuarkXPress 7, 8 & 9.
Exchange ideas, share helpful tips and get started with your first interactive design.
Please note that Flash (SWF) authoring is not supported in QuarkXPress 10 anymore.
chrisoshea

ePubs

Post by chrisoshea » 29 May 2013, 05:25

Hi there - does anyone know how I can change the and tags in an epub generated from QuarkXPress please? I've tried using a text editor (Notepad) but it obviously corrupts the epub file, which then won't open in my eReader. Surely there has to be some way within Quark to do this - at the moment, when I upload the ePub to my eReader, it comes up as "ePub created in QuarkXPress" - obviously this isn't any good for commercial distribution.

omegaman

ePubs

Post by omegaman » 29 May 2013, 17:36

Download Calibre and use it to edit the Metadata.
http://calibre-ebook.com/demo

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

ePubs

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 29 May 2013, 20:42

Hi Chris,
first, there's no problem for commercial distribution to state what application was used to create the ePub. With PDFs this is very common.
However we didn't put that in to make you advertise QuarkXPress, that's up to you if you like it. The reason for this is that ePubs NEED a title and you didn't specify one. So we need to put something in and that's the default if you leave it empty.
If you want to specify your own title (AND YOU REALLY SHOULD) then do that using the "eBook Metadata" menu please.
And to later on modify the ePub (should you have to at all), Calibre is a good tip.
Thanks
Matthias

chrisoshea

ePubs

Post by chrisoshea » 30 May 2013, 01:14

Thanks Matthias - I couldn't find where to add eBook metadata but I had been looking for it in Reflow View (where it's greyed out) but can see that it's available in the Layout View.

chrisoshea

ePubs

Post by chrisoshea » 30 May 2013, 01:15

Thanks for the tip - I've found the eBook metadata option in Quark now though, so problem solved.

Return to “General authoring questions”