Auto running an SWF in a web site

Discuss Interactive Design & Flash® (SWF) Export inside QuarkXPress 7, 8 & 9.
Exchange ideas, share helpful tips and get started with your first interactive design.
Please note that Flash (SWF) authoring is not supported in QuarkXPress 10 anymore.
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » 19 Jul 2007, 09:55

Hi,

I have looked hard for this one and the closest I have come to finding my answer is under the Configuring an SWF object in the Help section.

I have created and exported my SWF animation in QID and placed it into my Quark Web Layout. However, the animation doesn't automatically run as I would have expected when I preview the website in a browser. I obviously need to tell the SWF movie to autorun and loop, but I can't suss out how or where.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 19 Jul 2007, 10:19

Hi, Jonathan,

[strong]Jonathan:[/strong]However, the animation doesn't automatically run as I would have expected when I preview the website in a browser. I obviously need to tell the SWF movie to autorun and loop, but I can't suss out how or where.
1. Create a Script that has one action "Play Animation ".
2. Define this script as the start script for page 1.
3. Done.

And let us know the URL, curious ;-)

Thanks
Matthias

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » 19 Jul 2007, 10:37

You see, this is where I am getting lost. I don't have any actual animation objects. :lol:

I have uploaded the swf file here http://www.pha-creative.co.uk/phashowcase.swf

Ignore the quality as it will fill the screen. The idea is that this little animation will sit in a box on our html based homepage, but currently it won't run. I haven't labelled anything as Animation - have I done it all wrong? :lol: :lol:

PS: I have just read the post on preloaders, which has me worried. This animation at the moment sits at 900kb ish - with no preloader that could be a worry.

If an entire site is done in Flash, I assume the whole site needs to load before it can function fully? With Flash I used placeholders to load separate swf files only if the visitor requested it.

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 19 Jul 2007, 10:52

[img]../../themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif"> [strong]Jonathan:[/strong]You see, this is where I am getting lost. I don't have any actual animation objects. :lol:
You don't need an "animation[/img] Animations can either have elements move on a path, play in itself (like a flip book) or combine both "movements". If you element is not animated that way (e.g. slide or show actions) you don't need animations.

[quote:fef0d96fbe]the idea is that this little animation will sit in a box on our html based homepage, but currently it won't run.
To understand how you envision it to animate, can you send me the QXP or SWF via mail (email button below this post)?

[quote:fef0d96fbe]This animation at the moment sits at 900kb ish - with no preloader that could be a worry. If an entire site is done in Flash, I assume the whole site needs to load before it can function fully?
With Interactive you can load specific SWFs later too (Open Project action) and streaming of SWF is pretty good. I would only worry if your first page was large. Test it and let us know if you find an issue.

Thanks
Matthias

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » 19 Jul 2007, 11:04

I can't see an email button, sorry.

Kabir(Quark)

Post by Kabir(Quark) » 19 Jul 2007, 23:15

Hi Jonathan

I used the phashowcase.swf in a web layout and it plays just fine. Please ensure that you follow the steps below:

1)Create a new web layout
2)Create a picture box and do a get picture (Ctrl/Cmd + E)
3)Choose the phashowcase.swf file
4)Ensure that the first frame of your swf is shown as a preview in the picture box (in this case a white background with the cursor on the top left of the box)
If this does not happen , please let me know
5)Now , right click on the picture box and do a "Fit Box to Picture"
If this is not done then only a snapshot of your swf is exported with the web page. Doing this ensures that your swf is exported and will play on export.

Note: Make sure you do not make any other change to this picture box e.g. change its shape , size , color , frame, etc

Please let me know if this helps resolve your query.

Thanks and Regards,
Kabir

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » 20 Jul 2007, 03:37

Hello Kabir,

It works!

http://www.pha-creative.co.uk/Export1.htm

Maybe this is something that needs making more of in the help section of QID. Something so simple preventing the swf from playing - your post should be incorporated into the help pages Kabir. :)

Thanks to you, and to Matthias, for sorting this.

Jonathan

Kabir(Quark)

Post by Kabir(Quark) » 20 Jul 2007, 04:12

Hi Jonathan

Glad to be of assistance!

One thing I noticed is that your swf does not play in a loop i.e. it stops at the image of the jeep. Is this intentional?

If you would like it to play in a loop do let me know how you have created your project. Is it by using auto advance feature with multiple pages , a script with multiple pages , or hiding and showing image boxes on one page?

Kind regards,
Kabir

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » 20 Jul 2007, 04:21

First off, don't let our main client Mitsubishi hear you call their vehicle a Jeep! :lol: :lol: :wink:

It plays as a loop for me though, Kabir. I have it set under Preferences to loop. That's another worry then!

I really wasn't sure the best way to set the project up - so I did it in the least cluttered way. So, the project is created as 8 individual pages, with each image and its moving rectangles on a page each (8 images = 8 pages). In Preferences it is set to Fade>Transparent in for 1 second. Now, I assume that then sets how every page fades in for the Project?

Each page then has an auto advance of 4 seconds - and then it should loop.

Kabir(Quark)

Post by Kabir(Quark) » 20 Jul 2007, 04:29

Yup , you're right , it does loop , think the problem was that the file was not completely downloaded.

And my apoligies to Mitsubishi :wink:

Return to “General authoring questions”