Carry form data across multiple pages

Discuss Interactive Design & Flash® (SWF) Export inside QuarkXPress 7, 8 & 9.
Exchange ideas, share helpful tips and get started with your first interactive design.
Please note that Flash (SWF) authoring is not supported in QuarkXPress 10 anymore.
MarkyBoy

Post by MarkyBoy » 29 Oct 2012, 01:48

I'm an experienced Quark user but I'm new to using Quark Interactive. It seems ideal to create an interactive presentation that I need to make and I wonder if anyone can help with some guidance and whether it is even possible to do the following?
I have some products that have a 10 digit part number where each digit represents an available option for the product.
So, I want to have a step by step (page by page) build up of the part number depending on what options the customer enters in a form. So they enter the first digit of the code and click on a 'next' button which will go to a new page that shows the options for the next digit in the part number but retains the first digit that was entered in the form on the previous page. Then after entering the second digit (from a list of options) the customer clicks on 'next' again and then goes to the next page that retains the first two digits and allows the 3rd digit to be entered etc etc... I need it to retain the option numbers entered in the form because once we get to the final page, I need all the digits to be submitted via the form.
the reason for going to new pages after each digit is entered is that the product is made from 'bolt on' components and I want to build up an image of the product as each part of the code is entered to show how the product looks 'so far'.
Any suggestions or pointers to tutorials would be most useful... Thanks.

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 06 Nov 2012, 22:25

Hi Mark,
so you are basically building bread crumbs? If yes, then just append the selection (Text Selection) to a text box and variable and upon entering the new page show this in a text box.
Thanks
Matthias

MarkyBoy

Post by MarkyBoy » 06 Nov 2012, 22:33

Thanks Matthias... Yes, essentially a breadcrumb, but I have found that I really don't need to open a new page each time (as I initially thought I would), I can just keep the form visible on the page and hide and show the elements that I want people to choose from, then I use a script to copy the text from the pop up and paste it into the form and then close the pop up... That seems to be working nicely... I think that my first interactive project is very complex but I am learning a lot and I 'almost' know all the parts of how it will work now! Thanks for the help!

Return to “General authoring questions”