Safari 5.1 not displaying quark interactive animation

Discuss Interactive Design & Flash® (SWF) Export inside QuarkXPress 7, 8 & 9.
Exchange ideas, share helpful tips and get started with your first interactive design.
Please note that Flash (SWF) authoring is not supported in QuarkXPress 10 anymore.
Rama

Post by Rama » 22 Sep 2011, 23:50

my old interactive animation sites are not shown in Safari 5.1 (Mac OS 10.6.8)
e.g.: http://www.pizza-print.de
some examples of this forum are working, some not (http://www.biknewz.nl/)
with firefox there is no problem
a new created html site with embedded interactive animation (Quark 8.5.1) has the same problem
can anybody confirm this with a solution?
Regards

Kanav

Post by Kanav » 23 Sep 2011, 00:31

It works fine with Safari version 5.0.5. The issue is with the latest Safari version i.e. 5.1 only.

shaharaperil

Post by shaharaperil » 26 Sep 2011, 13:03

I had the same problem with my projects done in Quark 8 when I upgraded Safari. The issue was in the HTML code. There were spaces that I had to delete in the old projects. I think your issue might be here:

embed src = "afbeelding/6_Kopie297.swf" base = "afbeelding" quality = "high" wmode = "transparent"width = "1000" height = "768" name = "6_Kopie297.swf" align = "middle"

I think you need to delete some of the spaces in the code so that it looks like this:

embed src="afbeelding/6_Kopie297.swf" base="afbeelding" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="1000" height="768" name="6_Kopie297.swf" align="middle"
That's the only change I made to my code and my older projects started working again.

shaharaperil

Post by shaharaperil » 27 Sep 2011, 10:04

One more thing I forgot to add. When I exported a recent project, there was extra code that was added that was preventing my SWF file from being viewable in Safari. The code was as follows:

param name = "movie" value = "YOUR-FILE-NAME.swf" /param
param name = "base" value = "images" /param
param name = "quality" value = "high" /param
param name = "wmode"value = "transparent" /param

I had to delete all of the above before the SWF would play in the new Safari. This code should appear right above the "embed src" code for your SWF file. If you perform a find in your code for SWF, you should be able to find it easily. Delete it all, including the brackets around it, and upload your htm file again. Refresh and it should play your SWF.

jfirst

Post by jfirst » 03 Oct 2011, 12:33

I have had similar issues since upgrading to Safari 5.1. SWF files created in Quark that worked perfectly in 5.0... do not display in Safari 5.1 - they do display in Firefox. I have checked the Activities window which tells me that the swf file is not found. It is in our FTP site & it is working because it worked in 5.0... & it works in other browsers. SADLY< I have sent several emails to Quark & have not had a single response!!!!

shaharaperil

Post by shaharaperil » 04 Oct 2011, 08:51

I just had this same problem today after revising my site. But if you see my previous post, I followed those steps and it fixed it for Safari and it still works in other browsers as well. If you can get to your code, just look for the following and delete it:

param name = "movie" value = "YOUR-FILE-NAME.swf" /param
param name = "base" value = "images" /param
param name = "quality" value = "high" /param
param name = "wmode"value = "transparent" /param

leaudurio

Post by leaudurio » 30 Oct 2011, 09:17

Hi,
how you modify the code ?
with wich software ?
maby dream wiever or its possible to do that with xpress ?

best regards franck

leaudurio

Post by leaudurio » 30 Oct 2011, 10:09

sorry for the stupid question, ya its work with dream wiver

thanks for the tuto

shaharaperil

Post by shaharaperil » 30 Oct 2011, 14:56

That's not a stupid question. It takes a while to sort through all of the options to find the one that works best for you.

You can use Dreamweaver if you use the option to view just the code. The other view options tend to do very strange things to Quark's HTML pages. Personally, I can't stand Dreamweaver and my goal was to eliminate it from my workflow.

If you have a content management system, like Joomla or CPanel, that is provided by your web hosting service, you can use those to edit your pages. You just have to open the code editor within those content management systems, find the page, open it, edit it, and save it. I don't like Joomla, but CPanel makes it easy, so that's what I use.

Alternatively, you can also use TextEdit or any other text editor. To do so:

1. Export your HTML pages from Quark as you normally would.

2. Open TextEdit from your Applications folder. A blank document will open automatically. If it doesn't, select FILE: NEW.

3. Inside this new document, select FORMAT: MAKE PLAIN TEXT. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP.

4. Now using SAFARI, open the HTML page that you exported from Quark. Within Safari, select FILE: OPEN FILE. Select your HTML file and click OPEN.

5. Within Safari, select VIEW: VIEW SOURCE CODE. A new window will open showing the code for your page.

6. Select all of the code from that new window, copy it, and paste it into the plain text TextEdit document.

7. At this point, you can perform a search for the code I mentioned above and delete it.

8. After editing the code, select FILE: SAVE AS.

9. Name your file the same name you plan to use for it online (ex: index.htm) and use the .htm extension.

10. Click SAVE, but DO NOT close the TextEdit file just yet.

11. After saving the file, you can upload it to your server to make sure it works. You don't have to close the document to do this.

12. Make any other necessary code changes to the TextEdit document BEFORE you close it. Otherwise, you will have to repeat all of these steps, since opening the HTM document directly in TextEdit after closing it will display a messed up version of the HTML page and not the code itself.

This will get the job done, but it's easier to edit the code using a content management system. You can check with your web host to see if they offer one.

t.cole

Post by t.cole » 03 Nov 2011, 12:23

I had the safari problem, and sorted it as suggested. But my projects now won't play in Firefox or Safari. Both are the latest versions on the Mac.

The movies seem to work fine when opened in Flash - any further thoughts? I'm sad to waste these projects - and it makes the interactive side of Quark a bit useless.

Return to “General authoring questions”