Hyperlink Targets

Discuss Interactive Design & Flash® (SWF) Export inside QuarkXPress 7, 8 & 9.
Exchange ideas, share helpful tips and get started with your first interactive design.
Please note that Flash (SWF) authoring is not supported in QuarkXPress 10 anymore.
stuartmitch

Hyperlink Targets

Post by stuartmitch » 15 May 2010, 00:14

I am producing an interactive project for use as my web site welcome page. I want to export this as a .swf file and include it in my web site (created with Apple's iWeb).I want to include a hyperlink in the project that, when clicked, takes the viewer to the first page of the actual web site (ie an 'Enter Site' button).Problem is, I don't understand the 'Targets' command. I can not see any instructions on how and where to actually include the "-top" command thus enabling the 'Home' page to open up on a blank full screen, rather than inside the .swf file frame as it is doing now. Bear in mind that I am only using QXpress to produce the .swf file (I know I should probably use another program to create the swf file but I find QXpress easier (except when it comes to Hyperlinks, obviously).Hope someone can help.Cheers....Scotty

Jyoti Bhatnagar (Quark)

Hyperlink Targets

Post by Jyoti Bhatnagar (Quark) » 16 May 2010, 16:21

Hi,
In Quark Interactive Designer, you can use action Internet > Open URL and in URL field you can give the path of the web page you want to open. Select the check box of "Open URL in new window" to open web page in new browser window.
If you want to use hyperlink then you need to follow below steps: ( i know this may sound as workaround but these are simplest steps that should work for sure.)
[olist][*]Open Interactive Layout >Go to Layout menu > Create a web Layout ( we will delete web layout later).[*]In web layout > create a box > right click on box and invoke context menu > In context menu, choose Hyperlink > New.[*]Create New hyperlink > Set hyperlink name say "Home" > Specify URL of home page and set target as _blank or _top (as per your need). You hyperlink is created.[*]Move to Interactive Layout, select the object/item on which you want to apply hyperlink> Right click to invoke context menu > Select Hyperlink > Home.[*]Moveback to web layout > selectlayout menu > delete. Web layout will be deleted and only Interactive layout with desired hyperlink remains that can be exported as SWF.[/olist]Hope it helps.
JB

Odin

Hyperlink Targets

Post by Odin » 02 Jun 2010, 22:59

Seems a little comprehensive too me... please, there is something I don't understand. Within an interactive layout if I mark a textfield, (ctrl click, on macbook) for the menu and chose Hyperlink, i can chose the different links I created, but even if I go for Edit... menu I cannot chose the _blank function, where is it and why did you hide it that much :)

Jyoti Bhatnagar (Quark)

Hyperlink Targets

Post by Jyoti Bhatnagar (Quark) » 06 Jun 2010, 22:27

Hi Odin,
I am really sorry for the inconvenience but "_blank" target cannot be set in interactive layout for any hyperlink.
Please note that in the steps that i have mentioned, ihave created the hyperlink inweb layout first and then used it in the interactive layout.
Hope its helpful.
Thanks,
JB

Odin

Hyperlink Targets

Post by Odin » 07 Jun 2010, 00:32

ah, ok - I am considering to change most of the layout to web anyway, and then it should work?
Thanks

Odin

Hyperlink Targets

Post by Odin » 28 Jun 2010, 01:24

On the other hand, when you first get into the process, it is not that comprehensive :)
Still following the steps I cannot make it work. The hyperlink works, but I set it for _blank in the weblayout, but it does not keep the mainpage, I mean with _blank I should have two browserwindows open right, the mainpage and the page with the link, I only get the last one!?

Odin

Hyperlink Targets

Post by Odin » 01 Jul 2010, 02:42

hmm must be because I again insert the flash file in a weblayout?
I searched on "redirect" within the forum, and I hope that might solve the problem!

Odin

Hyperlink Targets

Post by Odin » 07 Jul 2010, 04:07

"In Quark Interactive Designer, you can use action Internet > Open URL and in URL field you can give the path of the web page you want to open. Select the check box of "Open URL in new window" to open web page in new browser window."Thanks, seems to be the easiest solution, and so far the result is the same :) So why trouble with other solutions...

Odin

Hyperlink Targets

Post by Odin » 22 Nov 2010, 20:44

When I via the interactive palette, have made this external reference (link), is there then anyway I can edit it, or just open to see the link I made?

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Hyperlink Targets

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 22 Nov 2010, 22:18

Hi Odin,
you can edit external references in the Usage dialog (in the Multimedia section).
Regards
Matthias

Return to “General authoring questions”