Tip: How to build a preloader (example)

Discuss Interactive Design & Flash® (SWF) Export inside QuarkXPress 7, 8 & 9.
Exchange ideas, share helpful tips and get started with your first interactive design.
Please note that Flash (SWF) authoring is not supported in QuarkXPress 10 anymore.
KP

Post by KP » 17 Aug 2007, 04:30

Thanks Jonathan. I'm looking forward to seeing the site you're currently building from the bits you've shown so far it looks as if it will be good. (But enough already of the mutual admiration society!) ':wink:'

Having made Matthias' preloader (so neat, so simple) I was determined to get it in somewhere, but you're probably right that it isn't really necessary and may even be a bit distracting.

On each of the portfolio pages the seven images are stacked on top of one another, and together with the thumbnails each one is turned into an interactive object. There is a script to hide all the large images and a script to show one at a time with a fade transition when the curser rolls over the relevant thumbnail.

The best way to get an explanation of how it works is to look at this Sample Project Guide that I basically cribbed from to build my site: Using Interactive Layouts in Web Layouts

http://www.quark.com/products/interacti ... ct1_us.pdf

The sample guides are really good and I think are the best way to learn QID. It would be great to have more or even a whole collection of projects and 'walkthroughs', such as Matthias and Kabir post up here from time to time, in book form.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » 17 Aug 2007, 05:46

Hi,

I am struggling to get my head around this one I am afraid. I have achieved the preloader effect, but am I correct in thinking that we need to guess how long it takes for the swf to load? 5 seconds in the tutorial, or 10, 15 etc if the actions are repeated.

The one of most interest to me at the moment is where a swf loads another swf file (the second tutorial). However, if the last action in this script is to load the main swf into "Stage" then no part of this main swf is loading until this last action is implemented... is it? Will it wait until the 5 or 10 seconds of the preloader action passes, and then load the swf?

Forgive me for being a little slow!

Jonathan

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » 17 Aug 2007, 05:55

[strong]KP:[/strong]Thanks Jonathan. I'm looking forward to seeing the site you're currently building from the bits you've shown so far it looks as if it will be good. (But enough already of the mutual admiration society!) ':wink:'

I am getting a bit concerned on how our site is progressing unfortunately. With every snippet and post I read, I do wonder whether I am achieving the things I want to achieve in the correct manner. Not to mention whether it will hold up against other sites, including yours!

What I really like about your site is its speed. Currently I have a trigger on each rollover that loads the swf file into a box when clicked. These swf files are no more complicated than just fading in screenshots of images, much in the same way yours does. However, it is just not as snappy as it needs to be, which is why I am trying out the preloader tutorial, without much luck. Another spanner in the works is that I am not convinced that my boss is entirely happy with how the site is looking, either. :roll:

But, I will persevere.

KP

Post by KP » 17 Aug 2007, 06:17

Jonathan, it is a learning curve. I'll be honest - I worked on my own site over several months (it was for myself so I could basically take as long as I liked), if I ran into frustrating problems I could leave it for a week or so and come back to it. I actually started it just using the Quark web tools and got the basic layout and page links working with that. Then QID came out together with that Project Guide I linked to above and it struck me as the perfect way to display work.

As I say, I thought the early parts of your site you showed, with the sliding mask effects, looked very sophisticated and impressive. And whereas I merely followed instructions in the Project Guide, you had to work out your own scripts etc for your effects. Don't be hard on yourself, your site is probably looking better than you think its always hard to be objective when you've been close to a job for a long time.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » 23 Aug 2007, 05:24

Hi,

Jonathan

KP

Post by KP » 23 Aug 2007, 05:40

Jonathan

You could try simply importing your preloader swf into a picture box on the page, conventionally as it were, rather than using the shared content method, and see if that makes any difference.

Worth a try, anyway.

KP

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » 23 Aug 2007, 06:38

Thanks Kim,

It would seem quite a logical thing to try - why didn't I think of it? :) No success so far though. It would seem that to place the two .swf files on the page, the main movie box can't have a fill of none, meaning that the preloader swf file, which is behind the main movie, can't be seen when the movies play. If I put it in front it works, and the jerky movement has gone :)but the preloader swf file stays in place when the main movie starts. :(

I could apply a script to hide the preloader swf, but that could be quite clumsy if I don't get the timings right, or if the internet connection is particularly slow sometimes.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » 23 Aug 2007, 11:02

Hit a brick wall on this one, now. I have tried different combinations, but it seems the only way to get the two .swf files working together is to drag them both from the Shared Content library as per the tutorial, but that is making my site very unfriendly.

Hopefully Kabir or Matthias can help, or at least explain why this may be the case.

Jonathan

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 24 Aug 2007, 02:34

Hi, Jonathan,

The only thing that immediately comes to mind when I hear performance issues is a script that runs bad, when using Loop without "Delay". That fires so many actions at once, that the performance of the SWF degrades. Are you using anything like that?

If not, can you send us the project please?

Best
Matthias

jacquesd

Post by jacquesd » 24 Aug 2007, 03:18

Jonathan,
if your preloader works well in front of your movie, why don't you use the matthias trick, a break if action to mask your preloader when your movie or swf is playing ?
best regards
jacques

Return to “General authoring questions”