Go to top or....

Discuss Interactive Design & Flash® (SWF) Export inside QuarkXPress 7, 8 & 9.
Exchange ideas, share helpful tips and get started with your first interactive design.
Please note that Flash (SWF) authoring is not supported in QuarkXPress 10 anymore.
Odin

Go to top or....

Post by Odin » 15 Aug 2010, 22:28

I need a function/script that defines where to go in the browser window. Like if I scroll to the bottom, I can press a "go to top" button. Though I need to define not just top but the precise coordination points go there or there on the screen!

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Go to top or....

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 15 Aug 2010, 22:30

Hi Odin,
when you say "browser window" you mean HTML, right?
Look at URL conventions for anchors, that's what they are made for.
Thanks
Matthias

Odin

Go to top or....

Post by Odin » 15 Aug 2010, 22:44

hmm, I guess I do mean html and perhaps that is the problem. The "long"(vertical) flash file is inserted into the Html to enable a large scrollable browser window. Things need to happen in the flash file, that is where I will press e.g. a picture, then a flash pop up window will show, I can define where to put that window, but I also need to control where I am in the overall "html browser window". I recall that I for some time ago had a look at anchoring, but never made it work, though i might try again - can it work with flash?

Quarkian
Quarkian

Go to top or....

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 15 Aug 2010, 23:05

Hi Odin,
when you say "can it work with flash" then the answer is yes and no ;-)
Yes, as Flash can trigger anchors, so you can link to a URL 8.quark.com#top (and the top anchor of the HTML page is displayed).
And no, Flash (the technology itself) has no notion of an anchor, that's why it is hard to deep link into Flash files, one reason people do not like Flash in search engines.
Regards
Matthias

Odin

Go to top or....

Post by Odin » 16 Aug 2010, 00:31

Concerning the search engine problem, my plan is to make a pure html file without layout, and then make sure that there is a large link to the real page or perhaps redirect would work...!?Concerning flash and anchoring, so I guess you cannot define like URL 8.quark.com#150;150 (the coordinates)?

Quarkian
Quarkian

Go to top or....

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 16 Aug 2010, 22:14

Hi Odin,
as far as I know HTML anchors do not support coordinates. You might be able to program that with JavaScript.
What is it you want to achieve?
Thanks
Matthias

Odin

Go to top or....

Post by Odin » 16 Aug 2010, 22:33

"Things need to happen in the flash file, that is where I will press e.g. a picture, then a flash pop up window will show, I can define where to put that window, but I also need to control where I am in the overall "html browser window". "
The problem is when visitors click a picture, I don't know where in the html browser window they are, have they scroll up or down, I just know that the picture they clicked must have been in the area they can see, right. The picture might be in the top or bottom of the screen, I dont know, and further more I dont know their screen size. If I permanent place the flash pop window just about where the picture is placed, there should be a high change, that they will see the pop-up window, but they might scroll a bit to adjust.
It would have been much more professional if I could make absolutely sure that the window pop up at the center of the "viewing area"? The center of screen function in flash does not work, as this function put it in the middle of the whole file/browser window.

Quarkian
Quarkian

Go to top or....

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 17 Aug 2010, 03:00

Hi Odin,
ok, understood.
Well, the difficulty is that you are using two different technologies, Flash and HTML and they shoudl interact. Each by itself shoudl make it easy, with Flash out of QuarkXPress you have already figured it out (and you could restrict the Flash are by askign for the screen size of the user, though you might not know the size of the browser window).
With HTML alone JavaScript is the method to fidn out and create, however that means programming.
Regards
Matthias

Odin

Go to top or....

Post by Odin » 17 Nov 2010, 00:45

I am ready to go into javascript programming, if I can find a tutorial on the specific subject, if anybody knows, please share...

max.peter

Go to top or....

Post by max.peter » 17 Nov 2010, 02:28

Hi,

Some links I've posted in the "Sofa Threads" (Useful links) are related to Java, CSS and programming for web. There are (in those internet pages/blogs) a lot of tips&tricks and tutorials (including for begginers).
Just download the file, import the xml in a RSS reader, go to those blogs you think are relevant and make a search. There is a lot of stuff there, I'm sure you can find what you need.
Regards.

Return to “General authoring questions”