Need help with creating a click thru script in designer

Discuss Interactive Design & Flash® (SWF) Export inside QuarkXPress 7, 8 & 9.
Exchange ideas, share helpful tips and get started with your first interactive design.
Please note that Flash (SWF) authoring is not supported in QuarkXPress 10 anymore.
mariannem@raven2.com

Post by mariannem@raven2.com » 30 May 2008, 17:39

I've created a flash file for the web, but need to get it to "click thru" I have no clue how to do this, but was sent instructions of how to in FLASH. Can anyone reinterpret these instructions for Quark?

The main tag that we need to track the ads is:

Button Code:

on(release){
getURL(clickTAG,"_blank");
}

AND

Flash

If sending flash creative the following information must be sent:
SWF file or FLA file
Copies of fonts used on FLA file
Click-through URL
An indication that the clickTAG method has been used

Additional notes:
Invisible buttons must be placed on the topmost layer of the file. Buttons placed on layers below the invisible buttons will not respond to mouse interaction.

Click thru with flash

To track when a user clicks within the flash, a clickTAG variable MUST be embedded in the .swf file. Please follow this example and instructions.

Button Code:
on(release){
getURL(clickTAG,"_blank");
}

MovieClip Code:
on(release){
getURL(this._parent.clickTAG,"_blank");
}

This will embed the clickTAG variable in the SWF file. This allows the click-through URL to be modified at anytime during a campaign, as opposed to hard-coding the click command in the .swf file. Target=_blank is required in the Basic Actions to make sure the click thru opens in a new window.
The implementation is different for each version of flash please following this example and instructions for different versions.

Also reference: http://www.macromedia.com/resources/richmedia/tracking/

Flash MX / Version 6
A clickable flash object such as a button or hit area in the flash movie clip will require some actionscript attached to it.

Associate the on(release) event with that object.

The object will now listen for that particular event. When the event occurs it will trigger actionscript instructions.

Place the 'getURL(clickTAG);' actionscript as the instructions. The flash ad code generated will be programmed to pass in the 'clickTAG' as a parameter to that flash ad upon which clicking on the ad will direct the user to the click through Url value found in the clickTAG.

Make sure to check off the "Expression" checkbox for the URL field that is the variable for the getURL actionscript function.

Jyoti Bhatnagar (Quark)

Post by Jyoti Bhatnagar (Quark) » 01 Jun 2008, 18:21

You can use action Internet > Open URL > Select External Reference in URL drop down.
Type in the web URL in path field of External File Reference dialog > OK.
If you want to open the web URL in new window just check the Open URL in New Window checkbox.

mariannem@raven2.com

Post by mariannem@raven2.com » 04 Jun 2008, 05:50

Seems way too simple given the length of the instructions, but I'll give it a try.Thanks.

mariannem@raven2.com

Post by mariannem@raven2.com » 05 Jun 2008, 04:05

OK. The ad now clicks thru to a url which is great. Thanks. My last issue is that the ad needs to be tracked with the info:on(release){getURL(clickTAG,"_blank");} and I am not sure where to put this so that it works for the IT guys. Any ideas on that???(a QID class is in my near future!)Thanks.

mariannem@raven2.com

Post by mariannem@raven2.com » 05 Jun 2008, 04:50

OK. The ad now clicks thru to a url which is great. Thanks.
I'm in a bit of a bind since I upgraded to Q7 specifically to do banner ads and I need it to function and upload as well as Flash so I can avoid the mud in my face...

My lastissue is that the ad needs to be tracked with the info:on(release){getURL(clickTAG,"_blank");} and I am not sure where to put this so that it works for the IT guys.Any ideas on that???(a QID class is in my near future!) I've tried creating a box and putting it on a different layer, but where does the actual information go?? I've tried putting it in the same place as the clickTHRU info, but it starts to search my hard drive for the code.
Any help would be great. Thanks.

Jyoti Bhatnagar (Quark)

Post by Jyoti Bhatnagar (Quark) » 05 Jun 2008, 20:48

Hi,
Please correct me if I am wrong in interpretingyour query. Below is what i understood: [olist][*]You have a clickTAG vaiable to pass on the information.[*]You want to pass information from clickTAG variable tobutton and open the URL (given in clickTAG) using the button.[/olist]To achieve this: [olist][*]You need to have clickTAG variable in a text file. Text file should contain URL in following format [ulist][*]clickTAG=http://www.quark.com, or any website URL starting with "http://". (Note: please do not insert spaces either side of '=' operator)[/ulist][*]On Interactive Layout, you need to:a. Create a textbox object either Initially hidden or you can keep it on pasteboard.b. Create below script in script tab: [ulist][*]Select action Internet > Get Variable. In URL dropdown selectExternal Reference andinputpath of the text file having clickTAG variable definition in Path field. Input "clickTAG" in variable field and select textbox object in destination dropdown.[*]Add another action and select action Delay > 0.5 seconds.[*]Add another action and select action Internet > Open URL, Method > Text object, select text object name in Text Object drop down.[/ulist][*]Create button or a basic object on the layout and assign it actionScript > Run and select script created in step b.Kindly let me know if this is exactly what you wanted to do and if this scriptsolves your problem.[/olist]
Warm Regards,Jyoti

Stefan3636

Post by Stefan3636 » 30 Jun 2008, 20:43

I have the same problem, and im new to this!I have tried yor description over, but doesnt to get it to work.Can you make a step by step description to me?I also bought this package so i didnt have to learn Flash from Adobe from the bottom.I am really stuck, and feel like a complete moronKind regardsStefan

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 30 Jun 2008, 21:17

Hi, Stefan,
Stefan3636 wrote:I have the same problem

Could you please clarify, which "same" problem you have, as there was several topics discussed her.
Thanks
Matthias

Stefan3636

Post by Stefan3636 » 30 Jun 2008, 21:18

I have the same problem, and im new to this! I have tried yor description over, but doesnt to get it to work. Can you make a step by step description to me? I also bought this package so i didnt have to learn Flash from Adobe from the bottom. I am really stuck, and feel like a complete moron Kind regards StefanMy script should be:on (release){ getURL(clickTAG, "_blank");}or for v.7on (release){ getURL(_root.clickTAG, "_self");}Hope you can help , couse im stuck. I hope i dont have to go over to Adobe Flash..

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 30 Jun 2008, 21:47

Hi, Stefan,
Stefan3636 wrote:My script should be:on (release){ getURL(clickTAG, "_blank");}or for v.7on (release){ getURL(_root.clickTAG, "_self");}

remember, in Quark Interactive Designer you do not need to write ActionScript.
What you want to achieve is easy:
1. Select the object you want to tirgger the action, e.g. a picture box.
2. Name it (anything) in Object tab of Interactive Palette.
3. In Events tab select "Click up" (that's your 'release' event)
4. Underneath under Actions select "Internet > Open URL"
Done.
Best
Matthias

Return to “General authoring questions”