Need help with creating a click thru script in designer

Discuss Interactive Design & Flash® (SWF) Export inside QuarkXPress 7, 8 & 9.
Exchange ideas, share helpful tips and get started with your first interactive design.
Please note that Flash (SWF) authoring is not supported in QuarkXPress 10 anymore.
Stefan3636

Post by Stefan3636 » 30 Jun 2008, 21:49

I need to insert a "clickTAG" to the banner AD. The clickTAG is to track how many cust. wich is interested in that particilar campaign.Kind regards Stefan:-)

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 30 Jun 2008, 21:53

Hi, Stefan,
Interactive Designer can open URLs. So I am not getting your problem. You call a URL and that URL counts your click and redirects to the page that has the product or whatever you are advertising. In that case it is not different to how you'd work currently (with HTML I assume).
Best
Matthias

Stefan3636

Post by Stefan3636 » 30 Jun 2008, 21:55

OK, so if i understand this right...I do as you have sad: "Underneath under Actions select "Internet > Open URL", an under URL i type clickTAG ?Stefan:-)

Stefan3636

Post by Stefan3636 » 30 Jun 2008, 22:10

Yes, and sorry if im explaining this badly!A traditinoal URL link is normally input to the hyperlink. By the IT guys this is called an hardcoded URL.This is not allowed here.Its alomst the same requirements on google and other websites, you have to hav an clickTAG if your going to advertise on their page.Stefan:-)

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 01 Jul 2008, 02:19

Ok, I think I get it now.
You want to build a banner ad that does not have a hardcoded URL in it but gets a URL passed dynamically from the outside when called. Yes, that is possible.
Prerequiste (you probably just need that to test):
1. Build a website (HTML) that calls the SWF like this:
mybanner.swf?clickTAG=http://www.myurl.com" quality="high" wmode="transparent" name="8.swf" align="middle" height="240" width="320">

Build your SWF:
2. Go to "Edit > Variables"
3. Create a new variable called clickTAG (careful! It is case sensitive, so create it exactly as required)
4. Make it of type "string". Press OK.
5. Create the object that will call the URL passed in the HTML.
6. Assign an event and action to it. The action is "Internet > Open URL", Method "Enter URL", "External Reference".
7. In the Expernal Reference Dialog choose "URL Expression" and as Expression "clickTAG" (case!).
I tested it and it works for me. However I do not know whether that works with your ad service provider, especially as I do not know their syntax of calling (from the HTML). You should check. Google allows pre-checking.
Hope that helps
Matthias

Stefan3636

Post by Stefan3636 » 01 Jul 2008, 09:47

Thanks, Matthias!I havent had the time to try it out yet (a lot of deadlines), but it makes sense.Ill try this and give you feedback if it works.In my struggle to find the answer to this i found a clickTAG tester (clickchecker) its web based and free!To those i need of this go here: http://www.adopstools.net/Stefan:-)

Gene5861

Post by Gene5861 » 26 Feb 2010, 13:07

I need help with QuarkXpress 8.12. I need to implement the clickTAG function or the ad server won't accept the Flash ad. In the example you provided I don't understand what you mean by the "input path of the text file" What is a path? What exactly do I put in the path field. Can you give me the exact words. I am so confused. This is so much easier to implement in Adobe.

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 28 Feb 2010, 23:06

Hi Gene,
Jyoti is a few days on holidays.
What she meant in her step-by-step instructions is the path to the text file on your server. So if you put your text file texfile.txt on root of your webserver, (inthis example quark.com), then the path is http://www.quark.com/textfile.txt
That URL you need to put into the external reference field.
Thanks
Matthias

Gregory Maas

Post by Gregory Maas » 22 Apr 2010, 02:41

Hi,I've read all the threads on this subject - clickTAG - but two issues are still confusing me.1. I have to physically embed the following required code in each of the banner ads I sent to the publisher. It is still not clear to me how to do that.on (release) { if (clickTAG.substr(0,5) == "http:") { getURL(clickTAG, '_blank'); } } 2. That code has to be called when a viewer clicks on the banner ad. It is not clear how that code is going to be called.Sorry for the slow up-take on this subject. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.Gregory

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 26 Apr 2010, 01:05

Hi Gregory,
the same as described above should work for you. Create a variable called clickTAG and open it via external reference as described above. That's basically the same as the getURL required by your publisher.
The other part (if...) basically just checks whether clickTAG starts with 'http'. If you really need that that's easily achieved with expressions:
If Expression 'clickTAG.SubStr(0,5)=="http:"'
Open URL > External Reference 'clickTAG'
End If
And that script needs to be triggered by your button. Makes sense?
Or are you stuck on what object should trigger this? For ads this will be most likely the whole ad, so just put an (invisible) object over the page and assign this script to the 'click up' event of the object.

And if you do not want to create this script for every new project, just create the script without any document open. It will then be available for any new interactive project you create.
Thanks
Matthias

Return to “General authoring questions”