Interchange between OS: Tiger (elder mac OS) and Windows!

Discuss Interactive Design & Flash® (SWF) Export inside QuarkXPress 7, 8 & 9.
Exchange ideas, share helpful tips and get started with your first interactive design.
Please note that Flash (SWF) authoring is not supported in QuarkXPress 10 anymore.
Odin

Post by Odin » 10 Oct 2010, 22:18

Hi I have used Quark for a while on macbook, but now I got a better desktop to run Quark on windows! So I have the program installed on both machines, depending on whether I am home or mobile... I transfer the Quark file (QXP) from the mac via a USB-stick to the windows machine. So I open the file in Windows, and it starts to convert it, further more I get a message about missing fonts, and I don't chose replace but just ok. It seems to look similiar, so I make some few changes, save and try to preview my edited website! I get some funny error messages, but I survive it :) and it runs fine, so far I can't really find any differences! So I bring the file back to my mac, it converts and opens fine and again I cannot, at first, find any differences that should not be there. Though yesterday, as I tried to open it, I got this message that is was read only, though today it seems to do fine... So far I just made litlle changes to the file, and I only got these errors messages, converting to windows, which does not seem to impact a lot! In the long run though, I might fear greater problems, so is shifting between OS' a bad idea? Is there anything I should do to prevent problems?

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 10 Oct 2010, 23:51

I have some clients which use different OSes, so I have to receive their layouts, but I work mainly on Windows. If a USB stick is formatted on a Win machine, there is no problem.

The most important problems when importing a Quark file on other OS may occure because of different fonts (causing reflowing of the text). If you use OpenType fonts (the same fonts on both OS's), these problems can be avoided.
I made myself importing files between MacOS and Win and vice-versa (often, I'd say) without any problem. I'm looking also not to use some certain graphics file formats, I preffer to work only with .tiff and .eps, eventually with .ai.

Odin

Post by Odin » 11 Oct 2010, 01:28

Thanks,Do you know whether "Bauhaus 93" is an open font (there is this 0 symbol)? I have some modal windows to be opened within the flash file, and then to be closed with an "X", that have this font. In windows the "X" is not there, but if I save it and open on the macbook, converted from windows, it is still there !?!

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 11 Oct 2010, 02:41

Look in you font system folder and try to find the font "Bauhaus 93". If its icon shows a "O" letter, the font is OpenType, that's well; if it has something else, it's not a such type file. In this case, try to use a different font.

Odin

Post by Odin » 11 Oct 2010, 04:33

Yes, it has this "O" letter, that was what I ment with the symbol, still it does not show in Windows, strange - anyway I found another font... :)

Return to “General authoring questions”