Tip: Customizable scrollbar (and scrollable picture lists)

You have completed your first interactive designs with QuarkXPress 7, 8 & 9 and now have need for more advanced functionality. Discuss Expressions here, ask questions and learn more about them.
Please note that Flash (SWF) authoring is not supported in QuarkXPress 10 anymore.
Odin

Post by Odin » 21 Apr 2010, 05:14

Hi
I was thinking about presenting some products with this feature, here is my plan:
1) At the main page there is a picture of a product, and with mouse enter a (floating if possible?) window/box appear! The window stays open until I either close it with a button or I click outside the window, or mouse enter over another product picture from the main page...
2) The floating window (floating meaning I can move it around), shall include this scrollable pictures list of subproducts or categories, and I want a Headline and some additional information to be linked with the subproduct in the focus screen, but I don't know how to customize this?

What do you think about the sceneri? (I better like this, instead of all these menues where you need to click and then a new browser window opens etc., asking the customer to start clicking and wait for a new window, is to much to ask these days, lol).

Jyoti Bhatnagar (Quark)

Post by Jyoti Bhatnagar (Quark) » 21 Apr 2010, 18:08

Hi,
Have you tried using Window object. All theinteractive objects/Xpress items designed inside window object will be displayed only when window object is opened.
Thanks,
~JB

Odin

Post by Odin » 21 Apr 2010, 20:54

Yes, thanks I found this 60-seconds tutorial on that subject :) I can easily make an open new window/picture on mouse enter, but I cannot make additional functions like how to close it again, not even close on mouse exit? - How can I do both, I tried to set both, but cannot make it work!?

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 21 Apr 2010, 21:37

Hi Odin,
you need to decide which event shoudl close the window and then define the action for THAT event.
So if you open the window on mouse over you need to decide which object shoudl close it again.
Does that make sense?
Thanks
Matthias

Odin

Post by Odin » 22 Apr 2010, 04:24

Thank you, yes I got that :) I managed to open window at mouse enter, and make a "close window" text within the window, It works fine :) But at my first try, which was just for testing I wanted it to close down on mouse exit, and that did not work!!! Anyway, can I make a delay for the mouse enter event, like 1-2 seconds?Anyway the challenges now is how do I "insert" this Customizable scrollbar project into this Window? And further more how attach some text for each picture in focus?Thanks

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 22 Apr 2010, 19:15

Hi Odin,
you seem to have chosen a huge project as your first one. ;-)
First, on Windows:
If you want to close the window on mouse exit, you need to define an object (can be invisible, so an "area") that triggers that. The main project could be that or the other pictures. For usability concerns, if you create a Window your customer will exepct windows to behave liek in other programs or websites. There windows/palettes usually do not close by themselves, so maybe you should either not close the window automatically or choose a different object, such as these white overlays over videos.
Anyhow, to close a window after a while you need to create a script. A script is nothing difficult, it is just a series of actions. So if you have two actions (wait 2 seconds and then close window) create a script with the actions "Other > Delay > 2 seconds" And "Window > Close > YourWindow". Your object that currently closes the window needs to instead "Script > Run > AboveCreatedScript".
Does that make sense?
Try this first please and then let's move on from here.
Second thing you shoudl consider about windows: It probably needs to be quite large, if you want to place a scrollable picture list there. It probably will obstruct a large portion of your presentation.
Have you managed to make the window moveable yet?
Thanks
Matthias

Odin

Post by Odin » 22 Apr 2010, 20:21

Well with Quarkxpress (and super support) I have every reason to aim high right, lol :) BTW: (at the moment I work on a macbook).

Thank you, the mouse enter/exit was a starting test, but as I want a series of pictures/thumnail products relative close, I found out that click is better, because you never know where the customer move the cursor, and you cannot expect them to know the system. So I put a "close window" text within the window to click and close down also, it seems to work fine :) (But I will remember the script thing).

yes, I managed the floating/moveable thing, I had to put/draw an extra box within the window (remember to put it to the foreground), and then I used these drag and drop functions, it is kind of cool :) (I am just a little scary about the loading time, as it goes online).

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 22 Apr 2010, 20:32

Hi Odin,
of course you should aim high, I just noticed that when learning new things it is always better to keep things focused, so that you can see the effects better.
A MacBook should be perfectly fine, I mostly use a MacBook Pro even for larger projects of customers. And as you point out correctly, we design for online here.
Still, though bandwidth is not so much an issue anymore as in the early days of the Internet, file size is something to consider. SWF is suppose to be optimized for that and the new Flash Player Adobe will be releasing soon is hopefully also less of a resource drain on Mac.
My experience is that on Windows Flash (SWF) behaves better than on Mac OS X.
In any case, after you are done do test your project with a typical bandwidth on a typical computer or your assumed customers. If it gets to large, QuarkXPress has an action to load another SWF project, so you could split a project over several SWFs. However that makes authoring more difficult, so it is another thing to consider.
Regards
Matthias

Odin

Post by Odin » 28 Apr 2010, 22:56

Nice to know that you can split them, but It does not seems to be a problem so far. I have choosen not to use the scroll function within the windows! I think I will use it for presentation of people instead!
At http://www.flash8magic.com/en/index.html you have this scrolling by the arrows could you upload that version, please?

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 28 Apr 2010, 23:12

Hi Odin,
it's a variation of the one here: p/21817/88042.aspx#88042
Enjoy!
Matthias

Return to “Expressions”