Linking a Questionnaire to an answer box and also a graphic

You have completed your first interactive designs with QuarkXPress 7, 8 & 9 and now have need for more advanced functionality. Discuss Expressions here, ask questions and learn more about them.
Please note that Flash (SWF) authoring is not supported in QuarkXPress 10 anymore.
HazelUK

Post by HazelUK » 23 Mar 2010, 23:59

I am a non-techie and self-taught Quarkite. However, like Winnie-the-Pooh, I feel like I am a bear with a very sore head at the moment!
Is there an (easy!!) way I can do a questionaire in Interactive, link each cell answer to the appropriate cell in a separate answers table which shows the total at the bottom of each column. I would then like those totals to be used as a graph.
The questionaire needs to run independently in the publication and not be linked to an out-sourced database. Question example
would be are you an extrovert tick box 1 - 5 (1 = no, 5 = very).

What would be better Expressions or Excel?

Thanks

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 24 Mar 2010, 01:24

Hi Winnie,
yes, of course that's possible and you are on the right track, you need Expressions (Excel wouldn't work, as you need it at runtime).
Therefore I have moved your post to the Expressions forum.
So what you need to do:
1. Think of a UI on how to enter the value 1-5. A text box woudl work, a button is probably better.
2. Expressions can get the value out of text boxes, add them in the background, do a sum (or average) score.
3. Think about how you want to present this, graphs are possible.
Two threads to start reading:
Scores and calculations: p/16711/70521.aspx#70521
Dynamic bars: t/22478.aspx#90913

And once you know how you want to do that and you are stuck, let me know, I'll help.
Thanks
Matthias

HazelUK

Post by HazelUK » 24 Mar 2010, 05:39

Thanks Matthias
This is why I love Quark... real people, real help and real magic!!!

Hazel

Return to “Expressions”