Google map in my design

You have completed your first interactive designs with QuarkXPress 7, 8 & 9 and now have need for more advanced functionality. Discuss Expressions here, ask questions and learn more about them.
Please note that Flash (SWF) authoring is not supported in QuarkXPress 10 anymore.
geert

Google map in my design

Post by geert » 05 Jan 2010, 23:14

Hello,Is it possible to include a Google map of my office in an interactive design?Geert, Nieuwegein The Netherlands

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Google map in my design

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 06 Jan 2010, 01:03

Hi, Geert,
the default embedding method Google Maps offer is HTML/JS, so no, you cannot embed that in Flash. Use the Web Layout to create a website and then an HTML Editor to add the HTML from Google to the exported HTML from QuarkXPress.
Using advanced methods with the Maps API you can get a static image (for more info see http://code.google.com/apis/maps/docume ... taticmaps/) from it. That can be used in the "Object > Display Image" action of Interactive in QuarkXPress.

Best
Matthias

geert

Google map in my design

Post by geert » 06 Jan 2010, 01:23

Thanks,I will do it the HTML-way.Geert

Quarkian
Quarkian

Google map in my design

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 06 Jan 2010, 04:26

Hi, Geert,
it is actually quite easy, look: SWF
(the picture inside the large frame is rendered dynamically by Google Maps)
Of course you could make the UI nicer, use radio buttons for the zoom level, allow addresses to be entered. I just wanted to show you the concept.

Best
Matthias

geert

Google map in my design

Post by geert » 06 Jan 2010, 23:27

Hello Matthias,Thanks, this is exactly what I mean. Can you sent me the Quark file to see what you've done.Greetings,Geert

Quarkian
Quarkian

Google map in my design

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 07 Jan 2010, 03:49

Hi, Geert,
here it is: QXP
Please make sure you read the instructions on the pasteboard and modifiy the text boxes accordingly. Then it should work.
Specifically you need to do:
In box 1:
Enter the Center point of your map. No spaces, use + to concatenate terms.
In box 2: Change the orange elements only. They specify size and type of the map and markers (e.g. where your office is). For syntax please see Google Maps website. Remember, no spaces.
In box 3: ENTER your PERSONAL Google Maps API key OTHERWISEit probably WILLNOTWORK!
If you dont have one, get one from Google (for free). This is the most important point.
Enjoy!
Matthias

geert

Google map in my design

Post by geert » 07 Jan 2010, 04:20

Matthias,You're the best. Thank You.Geert.

Return to “Expressions”