Flash Video is not shown after (even lokal) HTML export

Ask specific questions about integrating audio & video functionality in interactive designs created with QuarkXPress 7, 8 & 9.
Please note that Flash (SWF) authoring is not supported in QuarkXPress 10 anymore.
pixlschorsch

Post by pixlschorsch » 09 May 2011, 23:41

Hi,I hope somebody can help me with this: I have created a HTML page and a swf videoplayer in quark (as shown in the tutorial video). The player works fine in the preview. Then I embed the Flash-Project in my HTML page, but when I click on the preview, it doesn't work anymore, i see nothing. I use Quark 8.12.I would appreciate any help.Thank youGeorge

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 10 May 2011, 02:10

Hi George,
what happens if you copy the SEF (that doesn't show) one level higher (in the exported folder).
Does it work then?
Thanks
Matthias

pixlschorsch

Post by pixlschorsch » 10 May 2011, 13:01

Dear Matthias,thank you very much for your advice. Unfortunately it didn't work, but finally I found a solution:1. I imported my video as an .avi video in the interactive layout as shown in the tutorial video.2. I didn't export the swf file and didn't convert the .avi movie into flv.3. Instead I embeded the interactive flash layout (incl. the .avi movie) in my HTML page and then exported all together as HTML in my folder.It took a while, because then Quark converted the .avi into .flv.But finally it worked fine :-) (the only problem is the pause function to work properly)Best regards George

shaharaperil

Post by shaharaperil » 13 Oct 2011, 09:08

I have this same issue all the time with my previews. My videos, which are usually linked to my project via external reference, usually do not play in the preview. But when I upload my HTML, SWF and video files to my web sever, where the SWF file is looking for the videos, everything usually plays fine. I use external references to keep the project smaller and to avoid having to wait for Quark to render the video every time I do another preview. Once I get a good video out of Quark the first time, I upload it to my server and change all the references to external. If the video looks good, there's no reason to keep exporting it.

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 13 Oct 2011, 09:12

Hi shaharaperil,
when you reference your videos you probably use relative references. When you preview, the temporary file (SWF) is in some temp folder of the OS. It will then look for the videos relative to the temp folder and most likely doesn't find them there. When you export or upload, you probably make sure that the references are there.
That's most likely why.
Thanks
Matthias

shaharaperil

Post by shaharaperil » 13 Oct 2011, 10:37

I think that's exactly what was happening. I couldn't understand why my videos and SWF files weren't playing. Now, I find it a lot easier to just process the videos into FLVs at the beginning, either using Quark or some other conversion program. When I'm happy with how they look, I then upload them to my server and use absolute eternal references in the project from that point forward. As long as I don't need to change the video, I find it saves me a lot of time in generating previews because QuarkXpress doesn't have to process the video each time. And I don't really need to see the video again in the HTML and SWF previews. As long as I know the video is good and it's on the server where I want it, I can just concern myself with making sure it works after I've uploaded the pages to my server to test them there.

Return to “Video & Audio”