Vimeo and YouTube videos

Ask specific questions about integrating audio & video functionality in interactive designs created with QuarkXPress 7, 8 & 9.
Please note that Flash (SWF) authoring is not supported in QuarkXPress 10 anymore.
bobvine

Vimeo and YouTube videos

Post by bobvine » 01 Dec 2010, 02:29

Okay - I apologise now for being an absolute beginner ! But, if a client has uploaded a video onto Vimeo and has sent me the 'embedding code' is it possible to integrate this into a Web page or interactive design in Quark? If so how is the magic done !CheersBob

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Vimeo and YouTube videos

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 01 Dec 2010, 21:37

Hi Bib,
if you get a URL of a video and that URL plays the video and just the video (test it in browser), then yes, that's possible.
Youcan then paste that URL in an External Reference field of a video object.
Thanks
Matthias

bobvine

Vimeo and YouTube videos

Post by bobvine » 04 Dec 2010, 01:39

Hi MatthiasThanks for your reply. Unfortunately I have been given code and not a URL. When you upload a video to Vimeo you get the chance to 'embed' it into your web page and it produces the code such as :Eco - Newsreader scene from Bob Vine on Vimeo.
I have tried your method and it doesn't work as the URL method isn't just the video on its own. I think the only way forward is to get the source video and encode it myself and add it in as a flv video in the normal way. The embedding code just allows Vimeo to host the video and not our site so to speak!I know I can use the embedding code in iWeb but I wanted to move away from that software into something more substantial like Quark.CheersBob

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Vimeo and YouTube videos

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 06 Dec 2010, 23:09

Hi Bob,
there are add-ons for Firefox that promise to get the right URL you can play, such as "Unplug".
Haven't tried it myself, maybe worth a try. Let us know the outcome please.
Thanks
Matthias

Copy Post Plus

Vimeo and YouTube videos

Post by Copy Post Plus » 07 Dec 2010, 11:15

Aloha Bob Vine,Using Safari I got this as the direct URL for the video:
http://av.vimeo.com/57480/429/33585096. ... d9af17a98e
Hope that helps.Chris

bobvine

Vimeo and YouTube videos

Post by bobvine » 13 Dec 2010, 17:47

Aloha! Okay the Firefox plug in did work and got the URL. However, don't know whether it is a feature of Vimeo it only seems to work once. I have to admit my site isn't live (published) yet, but when I export the HTML and view it all working in Safari it works fine the first time. Then I save and quit out of Quark. When I come back to the project next day and test it the video doesn't work. If I go and get the URL again it works.I will have to see what happens when it goes live.Will let you know!Would be nice for the 'embed' code to work like iWeb especially seeing as Vimeo and YouTube provide it.CheersBob

Randy Brown

Vimeo and YouTube videos

Post by Randy Brown » 27 Feb 2011, 19:06

Hello...
I am very curious about whether you have been successful in getting Quark to embed the code for videos you want your viewers to see from your website???
If yes, can you explain how you do this please!!!
Thanks a million...
Randy Brown

Return to “Video & Audio”