June 2017 Release Notification for Enterprise
Our June 2017 update extends your content automation solution with many enhancements to component management and web-based review, both of which help business users engage and collaborate better during the content life cycle. We're especially proud to announce the first release of component-based PowerPoint slide assembly. Business users working directly in PowerPoint may now reuse other slide decks, Excel tables and charts, images, and more. Higher reuse means higher cost savings and greater process efficiencies for editorial teams. What's more, this enterprise release is the first opportunity to use the latest version of QuarkXPress 2017 released in May.
Quark solutions provide leading features to deliver approved content to any device and output format, enabling global organizations to produce rich designs and provide consistent branding across all print and digital channels.
Customer responsiveness is our first priority, so we have also listened to your requests for improved usability and quality in numerous areas. For example, system administrators will appreciate new options for dynamic application configuration and tools to help benchmark your on-premise publishing servers.
Please review the highlights below to learn more about what's coming and plan to review our documentation for relevant upgrade steps and deprecation announcements.
Heat up your summer with our June 2017 Update!
Quark Publishing Platform
- Clipboard service - a new web service allows any user to securely copy and paste data across multiple devices or machines, including features for converting clipboard data to different formats
- Integration with QuarkXPress Server 2017 - enhance content format with QuarkXPress 2017 features
- Highlighted infrastructure upgrades - enjoy the latest features from third party software libraries, including the most recent versions of Lucene, ActiveMQ, Tika, Jackson, Waffle, ImageMagick, Saxon, Xalan, Xerces, and more:
- Windows Server 2016 support
- SQL Server 2016 support (deprecated: SQL Server 2008 R2, as announced in September 2016)
- Java SE updated to version 8
- Spring Framework updated to 4.3.8
- Highstock updated to 5.0.10
- Apache Tomcat updated to 7.0.77
- Elasticsearch updated to 5.3.2
- DITA Open Toolkit updated to 2.4.6
- Compatibility with QuarkXPress 2017 and its feature set - enterprise customers can directly access new productivity and design enhancements like responsive HTML5 output, native image manipulation, new features for text, typography, and usability allowing designers to accelerate the production of rich designs inside your enterprise templates.
- Automated item styles - produce compelling infographics using the new automation features for styling boxes, frames, corners, drop shadows, and more.
- Transaction-based font management - by configuration, you can now dynamically include your licensed fonts as part of a rendering request. Once complete, these fonts are no longer available to other requests. This ensures license compliance and enables multi-tenant scenarios for your publishing server.
- Enhanced troubleshooting - server administrators will appreciate accelerated server troubleshooting with a new feature to auto-collect the full rendering request payload in a configurable rescue folder. The rescue folder and its contents simplify analysis and eliminate the requirement to directly access production servers.
- Metrics and monitoring - configure and capture real-time publishing metrics and server utilization statistics via API or log files. These enhancements streamline integration with third party monitoring applications which continually monitor the health and performance of servers using visually rich dashboards and alerts for critical parameters.
- Windows Server 2016 - deploy to the latest Microsoft Server version to leverage innovations in security and efficiencies at the operating system layer.
Quark Author Web Edition
- Comment replies - our collaborative review UI now provides enhancements to support inline styling, multi-para comments, and replies, because spanning silos to enable rich discussion about the content change cycle is often as vital as the content itself.
- Dynamic tool tabs - when editing regions or tables, tabs dynamically appear to present useful toolbar commands which simplify the authoring experience and enhance productivity. Consistent with all UI items, these are easily configurable to meet your requirements.
- New block elements as components - in addition to sections, you can now manage region and table content as components, allowing your business users greater opportunities for reuse.
- Metadata management - empower your information for maximum downstream value with rich, contextual metadata features. Assign keywords, apply multi-value properties, and select values from taxonomies with our new, highly-configurable properties pane that enables authors to enrich their content for further processing and discovery.
Quark XML Author
- DITA enhancements - enhanced navigation pane for DITA maps and improved map and topic editing features provide a significant leap forward in usability in response to our customers using this important OASIS standard.
- Variable infrastructure - as we extend our features to include and move beyond DITA use cases, our new referencing infrastructure enables the reuse of structure and content with configurable and controlled keydef/keyref support, allowing business users to make local changes to global procedural documents.
- Performance improvements - always moving closer to native Word performance, documents open faster and configurable portion marks enable similar improvements when opening documents and pasting content.
- Infrastructure upgrade - by popular demand, Word 2016 users can now use the 64-bit version of Microsoft Word and leverage the architectural and some performance benefits for longer documents.
- Word Reviewer for XML Author - enhance your business productivity with multiple reviewers working in parallel; when reviewers are finished, merge all changes back into the single source document.
Microsoft Office and Quark XML Author Adapters
- PowerPoint slide assembly - accelerate time-to-market and enjoy new process efficiencies with this significant enhancement to our Office Adapter for PowerPoint: manage and reuse slides, Excel tables, Excel charts, and images. PowerPoint users can easily update slide decks and reference components as needed, all while maintaining familiar PowerPoint features for editing and design. This powerful set of new features promotes faster speed to proficiency and adoption of your content automation solution.
- Server-managed clipboard - using Office Adapters for Excel, you may copy tabular or chart content and paste it into any Quark authoring application, even if you change client sessions. This simplifies how work gets done and creates new opportunities to pull information from one context and use it in another.
Platform XTensions for QuarkXPress and QuarkCopyDesk
- Compatibility update - Platform XTensions for QuarkXPress and QuarkCopyDesk features are now compatible with QuarkXPress 2017
As announced in September 2016, we are deprecating our support for the following in this release:
- Deprecated APIs
- QXmlEditor - this API interface was still available in the September Update and is now replaced by the new QXmlEditorEx interface
- DWR (Dynamic Web Remoting) – this library is no longer available
- SOAP - the SOAP-based APIs shall be deprecated in our next major release
- Deprecated database version: SQL Server 2008 R2 is no longer available
- Deprecated server version: Windows Server 2008 R2 is no longer supported
How to learn more?
For a complete breakdown of what's new in this release or for any other questions, please contact your support representative by visiting http://quark.parature.com.
See our full documentation set, available here:
We'd love to hear your feedback. Please start a conversation here on our Enterprise forums!
Sr. Product Manager, Quark Enterprise Solutions