Unable to render to pdf

Discuss capabilities and share productivity tips about the server version of QuarkXPress.
IanB

Unable to render to pdf

Post by IanB » 11 Apr 2008, 03:39

Hi,

New to QuarkServer.

Have installed both QuarkServer and QLA.

Using the following url
http://localhost:8080/pdf/sample.qxp?outputstyle=Test

expecting to get a pdf but actually get a Quark page downloaded to my desktop, not sure why.

No logs written to investigate.

Also unsure of how I should use the document pool, can I drag Quark files in here and should they then automatically render to pdf.

Any help would be appreciated.

IanB

Unable to render to pdf

Post by IanB » 11 Apr 2008, 05:55

I've changed browser to Firefox and now get the following message . . .

Error #16 - This document cannot be opened by this version of QuarkXPress Server.

The source document is a Quark 7.3 document, shouldn't this work OK with 7.2.2 Server??

IanB

Unable to render to pdf

Post by IanB » 11 Apr 2008, 06:27

Works OK on a single file if the source is a Quark 7.2 doc.

Also, how do I batch process a folder of Quark docs to PDF using this method, but not typing into the url everytime. Can the Document Pool be set up as a hot folder? or is there a command like this ... that lets you select all files ...

http://localhost:8080/pdf/*.qxp?outputstyle=TC_Test

Thanks in advance for any assistance with this.

Paul Brown (Quark)

Unable to render to pdf

Post by Paul Brown (Quark) » 15 Apr 2008, 10:11

Hi Ian,

I suspect that document you are downloading is actually a PDF. Try to go into Reader or Acrobat and open the file. I have seen this in the past with certain browsers under certain conditions. I'll look into this further and get back to you.

Cheers,
Paul Brown
Product Management

Paul Brown (Quark)

Unable to render to pdf

Post by Paul Brown (Quark) » 15 Apr 2008, 10:14

BTW...the "document pool" is just a directory on your local or mounted drive that the Server knows where to look for documents. No action takes place upon putting file into the document pool only when they are called by Server. It is also the first location that Server will look if pictures are missing/modified.

IanB

Unable to render to pdf

Post by IanB » 15 Apr 2008, 14:11

Thanks for the info Paul.
In that case how what url do I have to enter to get the server to call a folder of Quark files to save to pdf rather than just an individual file?

Appreciate your feedback on the Server issues Paul, there really does seem to be a limited resource for Quark Server so relying on this forum for answers.

Paul Brown (Quark)

Unable to render to pdf

Post by Paul Brown (Quark) » 16 Apr 2008, 17:02

Hi Ian,

We don't have standard batch processing out of the box but we do have a scripting environment in the QuarkXPress Server Manager that can accomplish the task. Can you provide me some more details on the typical batch scenario you are trying to accomplish.

thanks,
Paul Brown,
Product Manager

IanB

Unable to render to pdf

Post by IanB » 17 Apr 2008, 02:34

Hi Paul,

A typical batch scenario would be that Quark files would be exported to a hot folder or holding location, then currently an Applescript will activate to convert the Quark files to Postscript ready for Distilling, then once distilled the files would be passed to a flight checking solution for final pdf check.
I would like to be able to test the following . . .

1. Ideally this wouldn't involve any user intervention so Quark Server would always be "listening" to the hot folder awaiting files to be submitted and then create the ps for later distilling on the fly.
I guess the hot folder would be an area similar to a document pool (with correct output style attached to the pool) where rather than just being a holding area as is currently the case, the process is actually triggered when files are submitted here.

2. Test as above but go direct to pdf without distilling to check and compare the final pdf from the 2 methods.

Cheers,

Ian.

Paul Brown (Quark)

Unable to render to pdf

Post by Paul Brown (Quark) » 21 Apr 2008, 13:01

Ian,

If I were to create a sample java script which you could load into the QuarkXPress Server Manager scripting environment could you take it from there?

Obviously, you would need to know some amount of java script.

regards,
Paul

IanB

Unable to render to pdf

Post by IanB » 22 Apr 2008, 03:46

Hi Paul,

Yes I could work with the Javascript.

I take it from this that there isn't an out of the box solution for batch processing Quark files to PDF from QuarkServer?

Return to “QuarkXPress Server”