Auto generate ps files to send to Distiller

Discuss capabilities and share productivity tips about the server version of QuarkXPress.
IanB

Post by IanB » 03 Aug 2007, 06:40

Hi,

Wow! first post in this forum.

Is it possible to auto batch Quark files to convert to postscript using Quark Server. I would need to specify the bleed and compression as you would in the desktop version of the export to pdf options within Quark. I see this working where I could copy a whole number of Qrk files to a hot folder which would then invoke the action.

Thanks in advance.

Paul Brown (Quark)

Post by Paul Brown (Quark) » 07 Aug 2007, 09:41

Hi Ian,

I think we can help you out here. What version of QuarkXPress Server are you using? Have you looked at the QuarkXPress Server Manager software yet? We do have this functionality semi-exposed but you will have to do a little work in Java. Funny you should bring this up as I am working on a little better implementation as we speak.

Congratulations on the first post!

regards,
Paul Brown
Associate Product Manager
QuarkXPress Server

IanB

Post by IanB » 07 Aug 2007, 10:01

Hi Paul,

The temporary solution I have for this is to export the pages on mass into a hot folder which has an applescript folder action attached to it. This triggers the Quark to Postscript creation and then passes the files to a Distiller Watched folder for the PDF creation. This is not at the moment performed through Quark Server, although I have Quark Server 7.2 I'm not using Server Manager.
Relatively new to Quark Server so still reading the documentation and trying to understand how I would call a http command for this. I guess something like http://localhost:8080/pdf/sample.qxp?ou ... =stylename would be a start, but I then need a notification of any missing images in the document. This notification shouldn't prevent the other pages from processing but go into a holding state instead.

Cheers,

Ian.

Paul Brown (Quark)

Post by Paul Brown (Quark) » 07 Aug 2007, 12:14

You're exactly correct on the HTTP request. As far as the images are concerned Server will assume that any "modified" images are correct and update them automatically. If images are missing Server will continue to process the document and log any errors (such as missing images and fonts, etc.) provided that you have logging enabled. You will have to parse that log file to determine what the error is and on what document it occurred.

Why don't you send me an email with your contact information and we can discuss this further.

Regards,
Paul
pbrown@quark.com

IanB

Post by IanB » 11 Apr 2008, 07:46

Hi Paul,

I have missing images in documents processed by Quark Server but don't see any errors in any of the logs, all pass through OK.

I have tried with the auto picture import set to on, off and verify with exactly the same results.

Return to “QuarkXPress Server”