General converter questions

Discuss converting legacy documents (version 6 or older) to be opened in QuarkXPress 10, 2015 & 2016 using the QuarkXPress Document Converter.
(Please note that documents last saved in version 7 and higher can be directly opened by QuarkXPress 10, 2015 & 2016!)
meganc

General converter questions

Post by meganc » 05 Mar 2018, 13:43

Hello,

I work in the IT support for a Quark user that's working to move from Quark 9 to Quark 2016.
They keep a mix of Quark pre-7 files, Quark 9, and are starting to make new Quark 2016 docs in a main work order area. They have several thousands of files, though not all are Quark. They save files based on department/project/requester, not by version used, so these files are spread across ~2-5 different folder levels.

We got v1.2 of the converter. I wanted to check up on a couple of things before we run it on all of those folders:
1.) Is it possible to get a list of which extension type corresponds to any pre-7 types, 9 (seems to be .qxp?), and 2016 types? I was thinking of doing some analysis on all the files in those folders via PowerShell script.
2.) Tied to #1: do I need to figure out and separate the existing 9 projects from the pre-7's to save time on running the converter/cleanup of duplicate files? i.e. should it be ignoring existing v9 files, or will it just be re-saving a copy of any 9's in those folder structures with the _v9 name? I did a quick test of 4 files that already have .qxp and it resaved them all with that same extension, making me think it doesn't leave them as-is. Should it only be processing .qxd extensions?
3.) I'm guessing it will ignore any 2016's based off the description of the tool, but confirmation of that would be appreciated.

I also wanted to thank you for making this tool available. My user has literally tens of thousands files in their work area, though there are also a mix of Adobe CC/pdfs and a few other types of files in the same folder area. The recursive functionality with the tool will make this a breeze to convert, and they'll have the fun of handling any reformatting as needed.

Thanks for your help,
Megan

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: General converter questions

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 07 Mar 2018, 00:11

Hi meganc,

QuarkXPress files created in versions prior to 6.0 have file extension as *.qxd. QuarkXPress files created from version 6.0 onwards have file extension as *.qxp.
Files created in versions prior to 7.0 cannot be opened directly in QuarkXPress 10 and later versions. You need to convert them using using the QuarkXPress Document Converter. The Document converter can convert files upto version 9.0 only. The Document converter is based on QuarKXress 9. Any document which can be opened in version 9.3 can be opened and converted using the Document Converter. The Document Converter will strip any web layout or interactive layout in the document as these document types are not supported in QuarkXPress 10 and later versions.

You can convert a single file or folder containing multiple files using the Document Converter. The original file will not be modified. The converted file will be saved as a new file in version 9 and will have a suffix of *_v9.qxp.
Sirish Nair
Senior Technical Lead, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

meganc

Post by meganc » 08 Mar 2018, 13:27

Thanks for the quick response. :)

Do you know why one of the files we tested on, which already had the .qxp extension, wouldn't open in v2016 and needed to be converted? I'd rather only run the converter on the .qxd files our user has, since it's a two digit number, but this file doesn't make sense based on the project extension.

And just for the full picture, this is what I did:
- User made 4 test files available to me, all with .qxp extension
- I ran the 1.2 converter and it created new _9x files for all of them.
- When I had the user open the original copies in 2016, only 1 popped up the "To open documents from QuarkXPress 6 or earlier..." message.
- When I had the user open the converted copies, I think all of them had a "To preserve the resources in this project's internal Job Jacket's structure.." warning followed by a "This project requires minor repairs" warning, but they otherwise opened fine.

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 10 Mar 2018, 03:38

meganc wrote:Do you know why one of the files we tested on, which already had the .qxp extension, wouldn't open in v2016 and needed to be converted? I'd rather only run the converter on the .qxd files our user has, since it's a two digit number, but this file doesn't make sense based on the project extension.
As I mentioned in my previous mail, files created in QX version 6 will have a file extension of .qxp and these files will not directly open in QX 2016, you need to convert them using the QX Document Converter.
meganc wrote:- When I had the user open the original copies in 2016, only 1 popped up the "To open documents from QuarkXPress 6 or earlier..." message.
Only the file for which the alert popped up was of version 6, rest all the files were of version 7 or higher.
meganc wrote:- When I had the user open the converted copies, I think all of them had a "To preserve the resources in this project's internal Job Jacket's structure.." warning followed by a "This project requires minor repairs" warning, but they otherwise opened fine.
Once the files are converted using the Document converter, the files get saved in version 9. When opening files created in version 7 - version 9 or converted using Document Converter, you might see the Job Jacket alert, as there have been changes in the Job Jacket structure post version 9.

The projects might be having some corrupt data in the style sheets or in some of other resource. QuarkXPress application itself tries to repair such projects during document opening, hence the alert for 'minor repairs' is displayed.
Sirish Nair
Senior Technical Lead, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

meganc

Post by meganc » 12 Mar 2018, 08:45

Ah, misread the prior/after parts. Thanks for clarifying.

Return to “QuarkXPress Document Converter”