QuarkXpress quit unexpectedly

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2015 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Please note that since Dec 1, 2018, QuarkXPress 2015 is not supported anymore.

John

QuarkXpress quit unexpectedly

Post by John » 16 Oct 2015, 10:47

Hello,

Every time I quit QuarkXpress 2015 I get a pop up window that says "QuarkXpress quit unexpectedly" and within that window there's a Problem Details and System Configuration list. There's also a QuarkRescueFolder on my desktop.

This has been happening ever since I upgraded to QuarkXpress 10 (last year) and continued when I updated to QuarkXpress 2015. There's no issues when I work with in Quark its just that I get the error message every time I quite Quark.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so how can it be fixed?

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: QuarkXpress quit unexpectedly

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 18 Oct 2015, 23:19

Hi John,

Kindly send me the crash log at sinair@quark.com.

Are you using any third party XTensions with QuarkXPress 2015? If yes, remove them them and check.

Are you using any font management utility like Suitcase Fusion, Font Agent Pro, Font Explorer. If yes, remove their plugins/ XTensions and disable the font management utility and then check?
Sirish Nair
Senior Technical Lead, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

John

Post by John » 27 Oct 2015, 08:11

Sirish,

I sent the crash log to you email address

I am using Suitcase Fusion 6, I removed the XTension as suggested but it did not work. Quark still crashes when I quit.

dewib

Post by dewib » 02 Nov 2015, 07:31

Hello, I installed OSX El Capitan and QXP2015 11.2 (Build 27667). Can't launch application. QXP crashes on every startup. I use a font manager (Linotype FontExplorer) and first tried to launch QXP without its plugin installed. QXP crashes. Then I installed the FontExplorer plugin for QXP2015 and QXP still crashes. Tried to uninstall QXP and re-install it: doesn't solve the problem. Still crashes on startup.

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 02 Nov 2015, 23:37

HI dewib,

Could you kindly send me the crash log at sinair@quark.com. I will try to help with this issue.
Sirish Nair

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 03 Nov 2015, 06:53

Hi dewib,

I have sent you the a list of steps. Kindly try them out at your end. The crash is occuring due a problematic font installed at your end.
Sirish Nair

fvdgeest-dtp

Post by fvdgeest-dtp » 10 Nov 2015, 10:32

Same here. I got the list with fonts that 'could be problematic'.

But, simply said: if QXPress 2015 worked in the previous version but crashes when the latest El Capitan update is applied

Supports mentions it is the Font (cache) fault, Not QXPress 2015 El Capitan update.
How (or rather" why!) did the previous version worked fine then?

Sorry, but I'll stay with the previous QXpress 2015 (the latest before the El Capitan update of QXPress 2015) because disabeling fonts I need (and were NO problem before and are still not in other apps) is not a solution.

I think you have to rethink this El Capitan update: It crashes on my iMac as well as on my MacBook Pro and that MacBook Pro has ONLY the standard Apple and Adobe Suite fonts, nothing else, no font manager.
This leads me to the conclusion that this crash is not 'me', but it is 'you'...

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 10 Nov 2015, 11:41

Hi fdvgeest,

it's rarely a question whether it is "you" OR "us", you have a crashing QuarkXPress and that prevents you from working and we want to help you to make it run. Together we need to find out what the culprit is.

If it was a general problem, that would be bad and you'd see an outcry in the community. But that's typically easy to solve, we know what it is and can fix it. If it is only happening on your machine or several machines but we can not reproduce it and others also do not experience that issue, then we need to find out what's different in your installation(s) than in ours or everybody else's.

So one way to find out whether it is a font is to disable all fonts except system fonts. If QuarkXPress doesn't crash then, at least we know it is font related. Then by slowly activating fonts (50:50 method) we can slowly find out which font might be causing it. And only then we can investigate whether the font is corrupt or if QuarkXPress is handling that font type wrongly. Before it is unfortunately virtually impossible to say what the cause is.

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

fvdgeest-dtp

Post by fvdgeest-dtp » 14 Nov 2015, 10:10

Just for testing purposes: I've emptied (after backing up) all font folders except System fonts.
Same result: QXPress 2015 works fine except for the latest update: same crash at start-up...

fvdgeest-dtp

Post by fvdgeest-dtp » 14 Nov 2015, 10:10

Oh, and I used Font doctor: all results are fine, no corrupt or missing data on ant font!

Return to “QuarkXPress 2015: General”