Unmanageable large quark document (900mb)

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2015 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Please note that since Dec 1, 2018, QuarkXPress 2015 is not supported anymore.

MacMicke

Unmanageable large quark document (900mb)

Post by MacMicke » 10 Nov 2015, 05:17

Hi. Is it just me that gets abnormally large documents? I think it almost has become unmanageable. working with quark 11.0.0.1. IMac 27" 3,4 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, OS X Yosemite
Made a 64 page travel brochure with text and about 4 images (not so big) on each page. Now, the document has swelled to over 900 mb (and I'm not finished yet) and as you might imagine, is slow to work with. It takes about 4-5 minutes to save the document and unfortunately it also happens that the document do not stop "save" but ends up quark "freeze."
Anyone have suggestions / know why the documents are so unmanageably large?
Grateful for answers.
Michael

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: Unmanageable large quark document (900mb)

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 10 Nov 2015, 05:49

Hi Michael,

can you first update (for free) to version 11.2 please?

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

MacMicke

Post by MacMicke » 10 Nov 2015, 06:40

Hi Matthias
Thank you for responding. I have downloaded and installed 11.2. Do you have something to propose to my problem?

geirrosset

Post by geirrosset » 10 Nov 2015, 08:54

I would also like to know why QXP2015 is so bad at handling large documents. I have a 140 page documents, with about 200 images and text. The file is 212 Mb. Quark 9 opens this file in about 15 seconds, and you can start working after about 28 seconds. QXP 2015 takes four minutes and ten seconds (!!!) to open the same file, and for that entire time the progress bar is at 50% with the spinning beach ball of death. In 2015 (the year, not the version of Quark) terms this is an eternity. I know 2015 displays all images in high resolution, but shouldn't the document use incremental loading then? That way one could at least start working. The book I am using as an example is actually double that size, but I was forced to split it in half as it was impossible to work on. I do not see why this should be the case.

Before you suggest using the book feature and splitting the book into chapters. The book does not have chapters and I have to scroll though the document constantly to cross check facts and cross references. Having the book split up into separate files would make this very cumbersome.

I feel this is backwards progress. QXP2015 should be orders of magnitude faster than v9 on the same files regardless of the resolution of the displayed pages.

And yes I am on the latest version of QXP.

Best regards
Geir Rosset (Quark user since v3)

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 10 Nov 2015, 09:04

Hi Michael,

as we improved performance a lot in the latest QuarkXPress 2015 releases, I just wanted to make sure that we are not searching for something that we have already fixed. So I understand you right that the issue is still there with 11.2?

If yes, then please send me the collected document (e.g. a link to Dropbox or an FTP site), as our tests with other customers' documents show the opposite, QuarkXPress 2015 being much faster, in most cases even faster than 9. So we need to analyze this please.

Thanks
Matthias
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 10 Nov 2015, 09:05

Hi Geir,

same for you please, please send me a link to your collected document.

Thanks
Matthias

MacMicke

Post by MacMicke » 11 Nov 2015, 01:15

Hi Matthias
I must come back to you. Have jobs that must be done before continuing with this problem. Asks to come back as soon as possible.
Regards Michael

mkuehn

Post by mkuehn » 03 Mar 2016, 13:04

Has a solution been found for this problem? I am encountering large file size also. In fact, I took a Quark 8.5 file that was 1.2 mb and when I opened it in version 11.2.0.2, with out making any changes, the file became 115mb in size.

SteffenJohne

Post by SteffenJohne » 19 Mar 2016, 03:28

Hello,
do you use in your document many Photoshop EPS files? If so, walk the eps files to tif / tiff files or psd files and replace the eps files. Quark has apparently a problem with the preview of Photoshop eps.

Hope I could help

wango

Post by wango » 04 Apr 2016, 11:58

Hi,

I've the same problem, i'm starting the new edition of an 600 pages catalog. All it's make with press 9.
Working on iMac 27" 4Ghz, 20 GB, El capitan.
We go to make some changes and new pages on this édition : the first file i've save, just 8 pages, make a96 Mo doc !!!!!
So i've test to save an existing file with 59 pages (12,5 Mo in xpress 9) on press 2015 and now the file is 418 Mo !!!! i can't work like that!!

i've see that i'm not alone with this problem but i dont see solution by Quark and no answer at the past messages !!! so what ?

Return to “QuarkXPress 2015: General”