Cannot adjust columns or rows within a table - intermittent

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2015 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Please note that since Dec 1, 2018, QuarkXPress 2015 is not supported anymore.

prologic08

Cannot adjust columns or rows within a table - intermittent

Post by prologic08 » 03 Feb 2016, 15:56

I am having an intermittent issue when I create a new table in Q2015 or Q10. I create any size table with any amount of rows and columns. I can then resize the table by dragging the outside borders. Works 100% on all sides. BUT, if I try to adjust a row or column inside the table to make it bigger or smaller, the arrow shows but inside table seems locked and cannot be adjusted. Now the weirdest thing about it is that it is intermittent. And I mean once it stops working, it may not work again until tomorrow. Sometimes it can be a few reboots later.

I have been stumped on this since Q10 so I am stuck on Q9 because its the only one that works 100%..

Any ideas?

prologic08

Re: Cannot adjust columns or rows within a table - intermitt

Post by prologic08 » 17 Mar 2016, 12:30

I may have found the issue though I haven't yet found the resolution. We use multiple monitors. These can be connected either by:
VGA
HDMI
Mini-Displayport to VGA
USB to VGA/DVI

When ever I troubleshooted this issue, it was only on the laptop screen. Today, I went over to the user that uses multiple monitors and she showed me how the tables weren't resizing again. I said ok, unplugged the laptop to take to my desk and while walking, I try to adjust the tables and it works! I immediately walk back to her and check the connections at her desk. Is it hardware causing it?.. We hooked it all back up, tried it on the laptop and it still worked... The user tried it but first she dragged Quark to the bigger screen. She tried adjusting it and..nothing. I moved it back to the laptop and resizing worked perfectly. So the issue is when you try editing on the external monitor, some of the functions stop working. This is crazy to me but now I am looking into a fix for this.

prologic08

Re: Cannot adjust columns or rows within a table - intermitt

Post by prologic08 » 18 Mar 2016, 14:57

Did more testing. The sizing of tables is only an issue on ANY monitor that is not the "main" monitor that has the start menu. So I had the laptop screen as the main monitor so sizing worked fine within the laptop monitor but did not work on the external. So I changed the main display to the external monitor and guess what...it worked on the external but not on the laptop monitor. This makes me conclude that the issue with resizing the inside of tables disables itself once I move the Quark application to an additional monitor that is not my main monitor.

Of course this doesn't mean that its fixed...

Return to “QuarkXPress 2015: General”