Have I ditched a vital font?

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2015 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Please note that since Dec 1, 2018, QuarkXPress 2015 is not supported anymore.

grumpiestt

Have I ditched a vital font?

Post by grumpiestt » 09 Mar 2016, 06:31

After upgrading to El Capitán I reorganised my fonts as recommended by the estimable Kurt Lang of JKL Studios (whose advice has worked wonders for me for years). QXP 2015 is working well in most respects (apart from the unhelpful interface design, which I am glad to see is still attracting occasional criticism here).

However, the style sheet palettes are now sprinkled with question marks in boxes - see attachment. I haven't noticed this effect in other applications. Have I inadvertently removed a font that is vital to Quark XPress?

Thanks for any suggestions.
character_styles.jpg
character_styles.jpg (73.82 KiB) Viewed 5279 times

MikeWenzloff

Re: Have I ditched a vital font?

Post by MikeWenzloff » 09 Mar 2016, 12:06

QXP uses a font named quarkinvisables or something to that effect. It is located in the installation folder if I remember correctly.

grumpiestt

Post by grumpiestt » 09 Mar 2016, 12:46

Thanks Mike.

I've found QuarkInvisibles.ttf and put it in /library/fonts and restarted - but afraid it hasn't made any difference.

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 09 Mar 2016, 15:12

I don't know if its location makes a difference or not. Seems like it shouldn't as long as it is activated. But every install I have (3 versions) its always active and always in the application folder.

Mike

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 10 Mar 2016, 01:19

It may be the Numpad enter key. Are you opening a legacy version created project?
Sirish Nair
Senior Technical Lead, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

grumpiestt

Post by grumpiestt » 10 Mar 2016, 03:43

Yes - but I've also tried creating a new document and get the same result.

I've looked in version 9.5.4.1 to check what used to appear, and find a glyph representing the numeric keypad - see attachment.
Presumably that is created by a font? If so, it must be active on my Mac.
Is this a clue?
QXP 9 styles.jpg
QXP 9 styles.jpg (34.48 KiB) Viewed 5216 times

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 15 Mar 2016, 02:38

Hi grumpiestt,

The keyboard glyph for 'Numpad' character in style sheet keyboard equivalent is defined in Menlo Regular font. This font is present in the Mac HD/ System/ Library/ Fonts folder. You seem to have deactivated that font. Kindly activate the font again.
Sirish Nair
Senior Technical Lead, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

grumpiestt

Post by grumpiestt » 15 Mar 2016, 06:02

Thanks for the suggestion, Sirish.

But menlo.ttc is in system/library/fonts.
I've tried applying it to a page of text in QXP - and it works, so it's presumably active.
(In any case, I don't use a font manager to control system fonts.)

Kurt Lang

Post by Kurt Lang » 15 Mar 2016, 09:24

Hello grumpiestt,

I'm using the minimum font lists for the System and root Library folders shown in my article for El Capitan (would be pretty hypocritical if I weren't :) ) and am not seeing glyph dropouts as you show. I quick created a few styles so I could use all of the common special characters. They all show as expected.
Screen Shot 1.png
Screen Shot 1.png (15.77 KiB) Viewed 5143 times
You mention that you're not using a font manager. If you've ever opened Font Book, though, it will still create a database OS X uses which may cause issues with the fonts you want to activate. I would try these steps:

1) Restart and boot into Safe Mode (hold the Shift key after restarting). Once at the desktop, restart again normally. This will clear all cache files from the user account you log into in Safe Mode and will clear Font Book's database. Once back at the desktop, do not launch Font Book for any reason, which includes double clicking a font from the Finder to view it since that will cause Font Book to open, and it will create a new database.

2) Clear all font cache files from the system. First close all open apps. Then open Terminal and copy/paste this line into it and press Enter:

sudo atsutil databases -remove

You will be asked to enter your admin password. Once you've done that, close Terminal and immediately restart the Mac. This command will remove all font cache files for both the system and user account.

Test Quark again. If you're still seeing problems, it could be one of two things.

1) Create a new test account and login to it. Try Quark there. If it behaves normally, then the problem is somewhere in your normal account. If it's the same issue, then there's a system wide issue. That could be one of two things.

a) The OS is somehow damaged and needs to be reinstalled. I'm not thinking this one is likely.

b) Either in the Fonts folder of your user account, or in the root /Library/Fonts/ folder (if that's the folder you're using to control your fonts by moving them in and out as needed), you may have introduced a third party font which is conflicting with a system font.

grumpiestt

Post by grumpiestt » 15 Mar 2016, 14:58

Hi Kurt. Thanks for your advice.

As stated in my original post, I have been following your excellent advice on font management for years, with very satisfying results. After installing El Capitan I went through your article, stripped out the non-essential fonts from the system folders, deleted the font caches (using Smasher, because I have it, rather than Terminal, because I felt I was less likely to screw things up) and removed Font Book and its database. Everything seems to be working fine, except for this oddity in QXP 2015. By the way, it doesn't happen in QXP 9.

I DO use a font manager (FontAgent Pro), but NOT to control system fonts. The font folder in my user account is empty.

I searched for Menlo on my HD and found a Bitstream version (4 weights) in the FontAgent Pro fonts folder in addition to menlo.ttc in system/library/fonts. But it is NOT switched on. To avoid any doubt, I have removed it even from the FAP folder and restarted. No change.

As suggested, I have created a new account, and QXP 2015 displays the same oddity there. (In the new account, it displays other font-related oddities too, but I'm not inclined to be diverted into sorting them out unless it's strictly relevant. I'll describe them if you think it might be.)

Following your reasoning, it sounds as though I ought to reinstall the OS. Or just put up with this Quirk in Quark.

Return to “QuarkXPress 2015: General”