Have I ditched a vital font?

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2015 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Please note that since Dec 1, 2018, QuarkXPress 2015 is not supported anymore.

Kurt Lang

Re: Have I ditched a vital font?

Post by Kurt Lang » 15 Mar 2016, 17:41

Quirk in Quark.
I'm already easily amused, but I like that one in particular. :lol:

A bit surprised a new account would do the same thing. Especially if you cleared all of the font cache files on the system.

Did you perchance launch FAP in the new account? I know a lot of folks like it, but I personally am not thrilled with that font manager. It tries too hard to control the system fonts, and you don't even get to choose if it does or not.

If you did use FAP in the new account, remove the test account and create a new one. Login to that and go directly to Quark and see what it does. If you still see the same thing, you'd probably have to reinstall the OS.

As a side note, I know people go both ways on this, but I never, ever install an new OS over an old one. I always create a new partition and install the OS clean, then install all of my third party apps from scratch. The only things I will bring over from the other partition are some preference files so I don't have to set those up again for busy settings apps like Photoshop. I do this as I have time and continue getting work done in the previous OS. Then switch over after I feel things are working as they should.

Compared to the slew of issues I see reporting on Apple's forums when they upgrade the OS, I literally never see 1% of the issues others complain about.

grumpiestt

Post by grumpiestt » 15 Mar 2016, 18:36

No, I didn't launch FAP in the new account.

By the way, FAP does let you decide whether it should control system fonts: see attached shot of the FAP preferences.
FAP preferences.png
FAP preferences.png (62.96 KiB) Viewed 2942 times
I did try it some years ago (i.e. using FAP to turn system fonts on and off), but it wasn't a happy experience and I haven't gone down that route since. I'm guessing how long ago it was, but probably in the days of Lion or even earlier. I've found your approach (minimising system fonts and using a font manager to turn production fonts on and off as required) much more efficient.

I take your point about installing a clean system and reinstalling all the apps, but it would be a long hard slog. Not to mention weeding out all the fonts again!

I think I may try reinstalling QXP first. Then, if that doesn't work, reinstalling the OS. I need to sleep on it before deciding!

grumpiestt

Post by grumpiestt » 17 Mar 2016, 06:36

Thanks for your help Kurt - but I think I'm admitting defeat!

I have reinstalled QXP. No change.

I have examined Menlo closely (using the QXP glyphs palette, the FAP glyphs palette and PopChar) and the keypad symbol doesn't show up in any of them. (Maybe it's deliberately invisible!)

I have reinstalled Menlo in /system/library/fonts (thanks for the instructions on using Pacifist). No change.

On balance, I think it's not worth the hassle of reinstalling the OS, cleanly or otherwise, to remove this minor irritation. So I'll put up with the Quirk of Quark until my next system upgrade (or new computer) and hope that may resolve things. Meanwhile, I'll get on with some work.

Kurt Lang

Post by Kurt Lang » 20 Mar 2016, 12:56

By the way, FAP does let you decide whether it should control system fonts:
Interesting! I wonder when that happened. It wasn't that long ago I did some testing with FAP and read through the current manual. It didn't mention anything about controlling the system fonts or not. Must have missed it? Thanks for the note.
I have reinstalled QXP.
Not too much of a surprise, there. That type of issue is usually somewhere with the system.

Return to “QuarkXPress 2015: General”