the newest update for Windows 10 – automatically distributed by Microsoft last week – has a huge impact on QuarkXPress 2015/2016:
Most file operations (like OPEN and SAVE) do not work anymore.
So if you are on Windows 10 and are using Update 1703 (Creators Update) or plan to use it, please apply this registry patch.
Microsoft supplied us the patch and it is described here:
You can apply this registry switch manually or use following instructions:
How to apply the registry patch for Windows 10
- Prerequisite Check:
You ONLY need to do this if you are using QuarkXPress 2015 or 2016 on Windows.
And only if you are using Windows 10.
(Windows 7 and 8 are not affected and also not QuarkXPress 10 or before).
- Always have a current backup available.
- Download the following ZIP file: http://www.quarkforums.com/resources/Wi ... xx_Fix.zip
- Right-mouse-click to UNZIP. This will unzip a file called "Win_10_1703_QuarkXPress Fix.txt"
- Double-click to verify that the file has the following entry:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
(if you see any other text, please do not apply the patch and contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Close your Text Editor and rename the file to "Win_10_1703_QuarkXPress Fix.reg"
(so change only the file extension from ".txt" to ".reg" please)
(The reason for the "rename" is to protect you in case somebody hijacked the link and provides you with a dangerous registry change)
- Double-click the .reg file to install the patch and accept the warning.
P.S.: We also have a patch available that doesn't involve a registry change. If you prefer that, please contact me via private message.