Font list bugs in Measurements Palette

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2015 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Please note that since Dec 1, 2018, QuarkXPress 2015 is not supported anymore.

ChrisB

Font list bugs in Measurements Palette

Post by ChrisB » 16 Jul 2018, 13:08

Hello.

My company has been using the Mac version of QuarkXPress 2015 since it came out. During that entire time, I have experienced frequent bugs in the font list popup that's in the home tab of the Measurements Palette (how I usually access fonts). My workflow when switching fonts is to use the keyboard shortcuts (cmd-opt-shift M) to bring focus to the font list, then type the first couple letters of the font name I want. Then I will use the 'opt 9' and 'shift-opt 9') keyboard shortcuts to cycle through the fonts.

The bug I encounter is - after having the font list in focus, typing the letter 'H' for example will change the highlighted font to 'Helvetica', but when I press return it actually goes to a different random font that I wasn't even using. Also, If I have just activated a font (I use Suitcase Fusion) trying to type the first couple letters never finds the font. I have to click open the font list with the mouse, and scroll to the font I activated and select it. After I've done this once, then I can use the keyboard shortcuts to select it again (though it will still often switch to a different random font anyway).

In addition, the 'opt 9' and 'shift-opt 9' shortcuts often don't work at all. As in, with some text highlighted, the font does not cycle to the next or previous font like it should. Nothing happens at all.

The only workaround I've found for these bugs, is to click open the 'Style -> Font' menu in the menu bar. I just have to pop it open for a second, and then the shortcuts for the Measurements Palette will work as they should. For a bit at least, but the bugs always come back.

I'm currently using Quark 2015 (11.2.0.6) Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 on a 2015 model 27" iMac, with Suitcase Fusion 6 (17.3.2). However I've encountered these bugs in every version of Quark 2015, Mac OS, and Suitcase Fusion I've used in the last three years. I've also tried using just Font Book and a couple of other font managers, and the bugs are still there.

TL;DR - Font list in Measurements Palette selects wrong font when using keyboard shortcuts, won't show a font just activated, and shortcuts for cycling through the font list don't work. Has happened with every version of Quark 2015 since it was released, and different font managers.

Any help anyone? I've tried googling and searching these forums for an answer, but I seem to be the only one with this problem.
Thanks so much.

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: Font list bugs in Measurements Palette

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 18 Jul 2018, 01:18

Hi Chris,

can you delete preferences, does that make a difference?

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

ChrisB

Re: Font list bugs in Measurements Palette

Post by ChrisB » 18 Jul 2018, 08:53

I don't think it does. About a month ago on my home Mac I had an issue that required me to reformat the system drive and re-install everything (these issues happen on my work and home Macs). I re-installed Quark from scratch as well, and the font issues were happening again before I made any changes to the preferences.

My company has a lot of older fonts in our library, some of which might be corrupt in some way? Maybe that could be the cause?

Return to “QuarkXPress 2015: General”