Image quality degrades when exporting to PDF (v8.1.6)

Discuss PDF Export and Print functionality of QuarkXPress 2015, 2016 & 2017, including PDF/X workflows
grharris

Image quality degrades when exporting to PDF (v8.1.6)

Post by grharris » 02 May 2018, 12:21

I'm new to the latest version of QuarkXPress. I haven't used it in 10 years or more, so I'm having trouble solving this problem.

My predecessor at my current employer used QuarkXPress for editing technical documentation. His PDFs look fine. However, when I export to PDF I get severe image degradation. I've had entire lines removed, shapes distorted, text in the image become unreadable, etc. I will try to upload an image comparison online somewhere. Many file sharing sites are blocked at my job.

FYI most of the images are either Photoshop or Illustrator, but even jpeg, png and bmp file format get distorted. Occasionally plain text comes out distorted as well, usually if it's on the same page as an image.

I've searched quite a bit online for solutions and tried everything suggested. None of it worked. I've played around with different ways to create the PDF (Export, Print to PDF, Adobe Acrobat print but that often crashes on me). I've changed resolution and compression settings, all to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

grharris

Re: Image quality degrades when exporting to PDF (v8.1.6)

Post by grharris » 02 May 2018, 16:49

I finally figured it out. It wasn't Quark's fault, but the person who was here before me.

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 03 May 2018, 02:52

Thank you for the update!
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

UtahLlama

Post by UtahLlama » 04 May 2018, 15:14

I finally figured it out. It wasn't Quark's fault, but the person who was here before me.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: These are not the droids you're looking for.

Return to “QuarkXPress 20xx: Output (Printing & PDF Export)”