Embedding fonts on pdf export

Discuss PDF Export and Print functionality of QuarkXPress 2015, 2016 & 2017, including PDF/X workflows
kerouack

Embedding fonts on pdf export

Post by kerouack » 10 Jul 2015, 15:32

hi everyone

I am new here and new to Quark and I have a question I hope you can answer.

I am using Quark Xpress 2015 and a mac with Yosemite.

I have designed a poster using a font called Tarantino which I have downloaded from Dafont.com.
The font is free for personal use and apparently allows embedding. It added to font book with no issue.

I have done the poster and when I click on export as pdf and go to options I select 'press-high quality'.
When I go to fonts, and click tarantino, it says restricted by embedding license. So, I leave it unchecked, and save as a pdf.
When opening the pdf on my desktop, all is well. Looks great.

When I email the pdf using my gmail account, the pdf that is received has all the 'Tarantino' fonts set to lower case from upper case
and it appears to be a different font.

I am hoping someone here with more experience than me can explain what is happening ??
Why is the pdf on my desktop appearing incorrectly when emailed yet print correctly from my desktop.
I tried loading on a thumb drive and transferring but it transfers incorrectly.

Thanks !
Mark

max.peter

Re: Embedding fonts on pdf export

Post by max.peter » 11 Jul 2015, 13:56

For exporting a high quality PDF file from QXP (press quality or any of PDF-X version) the used fonts need to be embed. That means the used fonts are inserted in the code of the resulting PDF file. When the PDF is watched on another workstation, the PDF is mantained in the same form as it was created, even if the used fonts are not installed on that workstation.

When the fonts are not embed in the PDF file, it may appear different when watched on another worstation if that fonts are not installed.

So you have two means to make PDF to work:
- use in your layout only font which may be embed,
- or sent to your client/printer either the PDF file, or the used fonts (if the licence of the fonts allow you to do so).

You can read more on font embeding from here: http://www.prepressure.com/pdf/basics/fonts.

I hope this can help you.
Every day is a good day to learn something new.

Return to “QuarkXPress 20xx: Output (Printing & PDF Export)”