Bleed and PDFs

Discuss PDF Export and Print functionality of QuarkXPress 2015, 2016 & 2017, including PDF/X workflows
ben nevis

Bleed and PDFs

Post by ben nevis » 09 Sep 2015, 04:16

My document is set up as a spread with 3mm bleed on all outside edges,( but not the spine).
The printer has asked for the PDF as single pages.
I can't show the bleed properly this way, because I can't show it differently for left and right pages.
In ID I could do this easily because the bleed setting options were top, bottom, inside, outside, and it's intelligent enough to differentiate left and right pages.
Is there a solution possible with Quark?

UtahLlama

Re: Bleed and PDFs

Post by UtahLlama » 09 Sep 2015, 14:59

The bleed at the spine is irrelevant to the printer as it will be cropped by the imposition program. Having to split readers-spreads is pretty simple in most workflows but can be quite a time waster if you are busy. The exception is if the pages are to be ring bound or similar.

ben nevis

Post by ben nevis » 09 Sep 2015, 20:21

The bleed at the spine is irrelevant to the printer...
That's a relief. Many thanks.

Jean-Marie Schwartz

Post by Jean-Marie Schwartz » 10 Sep 2015, 02:42

ben nevis wrote:In ID I could do this easily because the bleed setting options were top, bottom, inside, outside, and it's intelligent enough to differentiate left and right pages.
You can just do the same in Quark! Just select Non-symetric from the drop down menu Bleeding (PDF Export Options window) and set the amount as you wish. HTH. This said, if I get it right, you'd better set a facing-pages document with a wider inner margin to get a proper file. Report any trouble.
Jean-Marie Schwartz

= Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel 2.8 GHz • 10 Go 1066 MHz DDR3 • Mac OS 10.10.5 • QuarkXPress 9.5.4.1 + QuarkXPress 2017 • Adobe CS5 =

Return to “QuarkXPress 20xx: Output (Printing & PDF Export)”