I can't see PPDs in the printing window

Discuss PDF Export and Print functionality of QuarkXPress 2015, 2016 & 2017, including PDF/X workflows
pmkn

I can't see PPDs in the printing window

Post by pmkn » 14 Oct 2019, 05:37

Capture d’écran 2019-10-14 à 12.33.56.png
(400.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I use two licences of XPress 2019 : one on my MacPro and one on a MacBook Pro, both under High Sierra.
With the MacPro, no problem.
With the MacBook Pro, the PPD manager sees a lot of files, but I can't see any of these files when I request a print.
It is probably easy to fix, but I have no idea at the moment. Can you help me ?
Pierre

A Palaniappan (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: I can't see PPDs in the printing window

Post by A Palaniappan (Quark) » 14 Oct 2019, 05:57

Kindly delete the printer and re-configure with the PPD and relaunch QXP or update the PPD Manager and invoke the print dialog. (apalaniappan@quark.com)

pmkn

Post by pmkn » 14 Oct 2019, 09:00

Thank you for this answer, but I am not sure to understand the meaning of "delete the printer" in the present situation.
On the MacPro, I can select the printer model in the PPD menu as shown by the screen capture attached.
The attachment Capture d’écran MacPro 2019-10-14 à 15.41.12.png is no longer available
On the MacBook Pro, there is no PPD available in the similar menu. However, the PPD manager presents a lot of PPDs and an update does not change the situation. It does not prevent me from printing, but I have no control on the printer's parameters in use inside XPress.
So, what should I delete ?
Sorry if my question is not expressed clearly enough

I am not sur that my previous screen capture of the MacBook Pro was available. Here it is
Capture d’écran MacPro 2019-10-14 à 15.41.12.png
Capture d’écran MacPro 2019-10-14 à 15.41.12.png (135.34 KiB) Viewed 3162 times

A Palaniappan (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by A Palaniappan (Quark) » 15 Oct 2019, 00:28

Hi pmkn,

Thank you for contacting Quark and sharing the feedback.

Kindly follow these steps:
1. Quit all the running applications.
2. Go to System Preferences> Printers & Scanners and delete (-) all the listed printers.
3. Select the Reset printing system and restart the machine.
(https://www.imore.com/how-reset-printin ... m-your-mac)
4. Go to apple.com and download the latest HP Printer driver. (Ensure the printer is connected to the system)
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1888?vie ... cale=en_US
5. Install the downloaded driver.
6. Go to System Preferences> Printers & Scanners and click on Add (+) and select the printer and configure with the correct PPD and add the printer.
7. Once the printer is installed launch QuarkXPress.
8. Go to PPD Manager and check all the PPDs are listed.
9. Create a new project, invoke the print dialog and observe.
10. If the PostScript related options are not enabled (PPD) the connected printer might be a Non-PS printer which will not support the PostScript.

Still, if you are facing the issue kindly share your machine RDC to troubleshoot further.

I have attached the screenshot for the reference.

Thanks
A. Palaniappan
(apalaniappan@quark.com)
Attachments
HP Printer Forum.png
(142.35 KiB) Not downloaded yet

pmkn

Post by pmkn » 15 Oct 2019, 07:43

Hi A Palaniappan,

I followed all the steps you proposed, without success at the first glance…

Thanks to your remark "the connected printer might be a Non-PS printer", I remembered that my HP M553 had been installed in the AirPrint mode. I changed the connection mode to using my MacPro as a server through my WiFi network… and it works now very fine !

At this time, I have no possibility to connect my MacBook Pro directly to the Ethernet network. So, I am no sure that my fix is definitive

Many thanks for your time and patience

Pierre

Return to “QuarkXPress 20xx: Output (Printing & PDF Export)”