Returning to XPress

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2016 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Please note that Quark will support QX2016 until Nov 30, 2019.

eyoungren

Re: Returning to XPress

Post by eyoungren » 21 Mar 2019, 21:37

So maybe someone has the answer to my next question…

Is there a way in QXP 2016 to update only ONE instance of a graphic at a time?

Why I'd need to do this: So, just made changes to a PSD and saved as a flatened tif. 99% of all images are illustrations of individual holes for golf courses. XPress is used to indicate yardages and hazards, tee boxes, etc. Golf courses routinely change. So, one year Hole 9 might have sand traps in front of the green. Next year those might be gone. But we have to match the X, Y and Z coordinates that the last designer used to fit the graphic on to the page. Sometimes that means the graphic gets stretched one way or the other. But the objects on the XPress page don't move until you manually move them.

So, today I duplicated all elements on one page and put it on the pasteboard next to the originals. I updated the graphic on the page (not the one on the pasteboard). The idea was so I could compare where all the elements were originally and move them to their new positions with the new graphic.

QXP was fine with this for the FIRST graphic. The moment I switched pages though, every time I tried to update just ONE instance of a modified image, EVERY instance updated!

I read that XPress 7.1 was the first version to allow for separate updates of instances. And that you opened Usage and SHIFT=Clicked on update to get that behavior. I tried that and it still didn't work. All instances updated. Same behavior back on the first image when I tested to see what would happen.

Ultimately I ended up making a copy of the document with the old images and opening it side by side with the original so I could compare. But over the long run that's not going to be acceptable.

Was something wrong perhaps with XPress, or do I just have this all wrong?

UtahLlama

Post by UtahLlama » 22 Mar 2019, 12:45

rather than update, you could place the new graphic, Quark should give you the option of holding the size and position of the original graphic.

Arthur68

Post by Arthur68 » 22 Mar 2019, 22:01

UtahLlama, this is of course always possible, but Erik Youngren is right: it is a pity that this function no longer exists. For some works (typically: execution jobs and not creation), it was very useful and even essential that the update of the graphics does not automatically concern all instances. Hopefully this will come back, maybe with the 2019 release?

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 23 Mar 2019, 10:28

I would also just add (as I failed to mention) that when importing the new graphic as it's own instance, XPress forcefully updates all other instances to the new graphic.

Am I to take it then that XPress DID have this ability and that somewhere between version 7 and now it's been removed?

If so, that's very unfortunate. I've been away from XPress since version 8 so wasn't aware.

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 23 Mar 2019, 13:10

I don't remember how it was in version 7, but IMO the answer UtahLlama has given is a good one: just re-import the image in the image box.
Every day is a good day to learn something new.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 25 Mar 2019, 15:08

max.peter wrote:
23 Mar 2019, 13:10
I don't remember how it was in version 7, but IMO the answer UtahLlama has given is a good one: just re-import the image in the image box.
Max, the problem with that was when I did that, ALL other instances updated as well.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 25 Mar 2019, 15:12

Maybe things are a little loopy with this copy of XPress, IDK.

However, I changed ONE instance of a graphic on an entirely different document today and ONLY that instance updated.

Very strange.

Next question. In previous versions of XPress there was the ability to modify the Zoom shortcut tool. I cannot seem to find that now.

Maybe I am just mis-remembering stuff, but I swear I was able to zoom by holding down control and using the mouse. CTRL+OPTN was zoom out.

Then things happened this morning and now I'm having to use CTRL+SHIFT for zoom in and CTRL+OPTN for zoom out (which I expect).

Anyone have any ideas here on that?

Return to “QuarkXPress 2016: General”