QuarkXPress 2016: Footnote Enhancements

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2016 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Please note that Quark will support QX2016 until Nov 30, 2019.

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

QuarkXPress 2016: Footnote Enhancements

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 16 Mar 2016, 08:48

Hi all,

one major area where QuarkXPress 2016 will improve is footnote styles. We didn't share much detail yet, so here's some:
  • In QuarkXPress 2016 you can now apply different styles for footnote text, footnote marker and footnote numbers.
  • In QuarkXPress 2016 you can specify a different character styling for the footnote number in the footnote text.
  • In QuarkXPress 2016 you can also apply Prefix and Suffix for footnote number/reference in footnote text.
  • In QuarkXPress 2016 you can specify different Space Separator between number and footnote text. Examples are a Tab, an Em space and more.
  • If you are using footnotes in a multi column or multi text box story (text chain), then in QuarkXPress 2016 you can define a different separator style for the first and all the other footnote separators.
  • In QuarkXPress 2016 you can also turn off separator rule completely by unchecking Rules in Footnote Separator Style.
  • In QuarkXPress 2016 you can specify offset position of rule in relative terms of percentage (%) in addition to absolute values supported in QuarkXPress 2015.
  • In QuarkXPress 2016 numbering styles are enhanced to include new numbering series like “*, †, ‡, §, ‖, ¶…” or “*, **, ***, ****, †, ††, †††, ††††…” These can of course be used for footnote/endnote in QuarkXPress 2016.

Enjoy!
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Jean-Marie Schwartz

Re: QuarkXPress 2016: Footnote Enhancements

Post by Jean-Marie Schwartz » 17 Mar 2016, 03:56

Oh that's good news indeed! One reason why I'm still on v9 was the lack of customization for footnotes.

Are the footnotes also splitable? (This might be obvious it is since v2015 but I admit I haven't investigated that far because of the other restrictions.) Big lack of time too on my side I must say.
Jean-Marie Schwartz

= Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel 2.8 GHz • 10 Go 1066 MHz DDR3 • Mac OS 10.10.5 • QuarkXPress 9.5.4.1 + QuarkXPress 2017 • Adobe CS5 =

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 17 Mar 2016, 04:45

Hi Jean-Marie,

The footnote text can be split across linked pages/ linked boxes/multi-columns since QXP 2015.

In QXP 2016, we are providing a new rule for continued footnote separator to be used in case of split footnotes (so that you can demarcate between the main footnote text and the continued footnote text)

In QXP 2016, you can define a different character styling and prefix/ suffix for the footnote number in footnote text. Also you can customize the space separator between the footnote number and footnote text. These were not possible in QXP 2015.

You should definitely give it a try.
Sirish Nair
Senior Technical Lead, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

PetarMakedonecot

Post by PetarMakedonecot » 17 Mar 2016, 12:51

Excelent, indeed!
Is it possible two or more text references to point to one footnote text?
For example, instead of having three references 1) 2) and 3) with same footnote explanation, to have references 1) 1) and 1) and only one footnote text.
Petar Petrenko
Typesetter - Graphic Designer - Photographer - DTP Trainer
Skopje, Makedonija

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 17 Mar 2016, 23:24

Hi Petar,

Yes, you will be able to that in QXP 2016. We are introducing a Cross Reference feature which cater to that requirement.
Sirish Nair
Senior Technical Lead, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

PetarMakedonecot

Post by PetarMakedonecot » 19 Mar 2016, 05:43

Thank you Sirish.
Petar Petrenko
Typesetter - Graphic Designer - Photographer - DTP Trainer
Skopje, Makedonija

Jean-Marie Schwartz

Post by Jean-Marie Schwartz » 21 Mar 2016, 05:17

Oh! Great news from the stars then! :)
Jean-Marie Schwartz

= Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel 2.8 GHz • 10 Go 1066 MHz DDR3 • Mac OS 10.10.5 • QuarkXPress 9.5.4.1 + QuarkXPress 2017 • Adobe CS5 =

Ole

Post by Ole » 30 Mar 2016, 07:49

Hi!

I have looked at the new features and they are very welcome. But will it be possible to apply a style to more than one footnote at a time? Example: We had a project this winter which had almost 1000 footnotes where the authors had applied local formatting to the footnotes. (You would be surprised to know how few authors have any grasp of styles). If it were possible to apply a style to all footnotes, in story mode for example, I could have formatted all the footnotes in seconds. Instead it would have taken a couple of days to apply styles to one footnote at a time. Applying a general style to footnotes doesn't change footnotes with local formatting applied to them. In other words we have to use Xpress 9 for these types of projects. (Which we have a lot of.)

So that would be our single most wanted feature for Xpress 2016, to be able to apply a style to all footnotes in one go.

We tried importing with and without styles from Word, but we were unable to apply a style to all footnotes in Xpress 2015.

Regards
Ole

Uzbad

Post by Uzbad » 12 Apr 2016, 08:16

Matthias Guenther (Quark) wrote:Hi all,

one major area where QuarkXPress 2016 will improve is footnote styles. We didn't share much detail yet, so here's some:

[snip]
Enjoy!
Matthias
Thanks for this, Matthias.

Is there any word if QXP 2016 will support importing and exporting of footnotes via XPress Tags (or even exporting of footnotes via MS Word).

We are a book publisher that codes our incoming documents using XPress tags then imports the chapters in Quark. We currently use a footnote XT. We really can't use the QXP 2016 feature since we have no way of importing coded files into QXP currently. Unfortunately, we're looking at InDesign (not my favorite) right now, almost solely due to the availability of this feature.

Thanks,
-U

Uzbad

Any response?

Post by Uzbad » 25 Apr 2016, 16:22

Enhanced footnotes thread here: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=28499

Any response to my query about footnote capabilities? When I asked the Quark sales people they told me to ask the forums, but so far there's been no response here either.

Thanks,
-U

Return to “QuarkXPress 2016: General”