Question about registration marks

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2016 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Please note that Quark will support QX2016 until Nov 30, 2019.

amckinney

Question about registration marks

Post by amckinney » 16 Jun 2016, 16:05

Hello:
Is there ANY way in Quark XPress (2016 or earlier) to change the output color of registration marks to BLACK, rather than "registration color"?

The reason I ask is whenever I print a job that has a black-and-white page on which I want to use registration marks, my color digital press sees that page as a "color" page because of the registration marks (assuming they're assigned as "registration color" by default, as they appear black on the printed page).

The only way I can have crop marks and have my copier correctly apply a "black" click-charge (rather than a "color" click charge) is for me to make all new marks (by hand) and position them on my layout. Needlessly time consuming!

For instance, if I have a single sheet that's two sided, with CMYK on front and B/W on black that has a full bleed, if I want to use Quark's crop marks, my printer sees both pages as full color. I have to turn the marks OFF for the printer to correctly see (and charge me) for 4-over-1, or CMKY front/grayscale back.

If there's no way to make Quark emit the marks as black-only currently, perhaps it's a feature you can add in future?

A Palaniappan (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: Question about registration marks

Post by A Palaniappan (Quark) » 20 Jun 2016, 00:38

Hi amckinney,

Thank you for contacting Quark.

The registration color is a 100% shade of CMYK + Spot color used (if) and we cannot control this color to output only in black plate depends on the mode of output.

The same behavior can be observed in any appplications which supports registration marks during output.

Thanks
A. Palaniappan

amckinney

Post by amckinney » 22 Jun 2016, 13:30

I was wondering if there was a way to create a way to tell Quark to emit crop marks ONLY (and in black). In the old ALAP Xtension MarkIt (which was once part of Quark's Print Collection), a user had the ability to create custom sets of marks, color bars, etc.

I was hoping there might be a way for you to come up with a radio button or some other option to only emit marks in black, as an option for those of us who print digital work on color devices that aren't necessarily full color.

This isn't so much a criticism as a "wished-for" option. Adobe doesn't offer this functionality either.

Looks like (at least for now) the only workaround is drawing my own marks.

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 25 Jun 2016, 18:41

One can use Acrobat version 9 and below to do this via a preflight fix-up with zero impact on color value of the gray on the page.

One can get the registration color to be 100% black and have little impact on the black values on the page using Acrobat 10 and above. But the black will be lowered a few percentage points. What worked properly in version 9 and below was broken in Acrobat 10 and as far as I know 8s still broken in DC. I am using version 11.

Pitstop still works fine, of course.

Mike

A Palaniappan (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by A Palaniappan (Quark) » 27 Jun 2016, 06:48

Hi amchinney,

Thank you for contacting Quark.

It is not working with MarkIt XT also, with QuarkXPress 7.x I have re-verfied with the XT all the marks are outputting with Registration color only.

As a workaround kindly follow the steps which MikeWenzloff suggests in this thread. I have verifed it is working fine with Acrobat 9.x.

Or

One more workaround for QuarkXPress 2016.
1. Import the PDF in a new project with MediaBox Bounding box. (with marks and slug with registration color)
2. Convert to native objects.
3. Use Item Find Change for the registration marks, Find change for Color to change from Registration Color to Black for text (slugline).

Save the project from QuarkXPress and output without the marks, now it will output in Black plate only.

Thanks
A. Palaniappan

amckinney

Post by amckinney » 14 Jul 2016, 09:57

Using Acrobat 9 or below isn't an option. I do have imposition software for PDF (Imposition Wizard) which DOES allow one to specify either "registration" or "black" for the color of marks. Since I know it's possible in other software, that is why I was asking about adding this to Xpress.

The only problem with work-arounds like those (having to save your layout as a PDF and either do something in Acrobat or re-import that PDF back into Xpress and convert to objects, etc) is, of course, they're very time consuming and a bunch of extra work, where clicking a button/choosing an option in the print dialog is so much easier. It's also easier to print straight from the project rather than having to export.

For now, I suppose I'll continue to use my standard work-around (drawing my own marks outside the trim area). I just thought this would be a good feature to suggest for the next version of Xpress (and could be yet another feature to differentiate yourself from the competition).

Return to “QuarkXPress 2016: General”