How may I control the resolution in my document?

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2016 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Please note that Quark will support QX2016 until Nov 30, 2019.

caXton

How may I control the resolution in my document?

Post by caXton » 17 Jun 2016, 19:41

Hi,
I'm new using QuarkXpress, so I am very rookie. I'm sorry.
I come from the Indesign world, but I always felt curious about Quark. Many people told me all the time I have to move to Quark and that it is the best... so I am starting right now.
A big question I have is how may I set up the resolution for my document?
When you create a new document in Indesign you tell the resolution you want, for printing, 300 ppp, for digital publication, screen resolution 72 ppp.
However, in QuarkXpress I don't know where do I have this option and how may I change the resolution of my document?
Cheers

max.peter

Re: How may I control the resolution in my document?

Post by max.peter » 18 Jun 2016, 02:44

In QuarkXPress you can choose between a document for print, for eBooks or for web (AppStudio).
Go to File - New - Project, and in the dialog box choose whatever you need from the Layout Type dropbox.
See the attached image.
Attachments
01.jpg
01.jpg (121.06 KiB) Viewed 2766 times
Every day is a good day to learn something new.

PetarMakedonecot

Post by PetarMakedonecot » 18 Jun 2016, 04:36

In addition to max.petter:

The resolution depends of the picture resolution you import to Quark. For pro-printing on coated paper it should be 225 dpi. For newspaper it should be even smaller. Resolution is calculated like this: 1.5 x lpi (lines per inch). So, you must ask first on what lpi the material is going to be printed and after that to scan (or adopt) the pictures to preffered resolution.
Petar Petrenko
Typesetter - Graphic Designer - Photographer - DTP Trainer
Skopje, Makedonija

caXton

Post by caXton » 19 Jun 2016, 08:19

Hi, I've been talking with some friends, and they gave me a logical explanation.
For example in Illustrator, when you create a new document, you need to stablish the resolution for that document, 300 ppp (press and printing) or 72 ppp (screen).
Okay, but in QuarkXpress or Indesign when you create a new document you won't need to tell the resolution for that document.
Why?
Why in Illustrator yes, and in Indesign or Quark you won't need it?
Well, that is because Illustrator, Photoshop or programs based in vectors or bitmaps you will need or not, to rasterize the pictures and cliparts later on, so they need to know in advance the resolution you want for the page. Basically those programs understand the page as a bitmap even if they are working with vectors. So the output for that page will be in screen resolution of press and printing resolution? that is the reason they ask when you create a new document.

The Indesign or Quark philoshophy is different. They understand the page as a blank page which you will fill with elements in low or high resolution. Elements, pictures, in low resolution of course will have a bad output, elements, in high resoluton will have a nice output. Texts are vectors, drawings, are vectors, so they will always scalete perfectly to fit the dimensions of the page, and we don't need to stablish resolution, knowing Quark the dimensions of the page, it will do the right job.
The only necessary to do in Quark is selecting the kind of document you want, for print or screen, and that is all.

Cheers

amckinney

Post by amckinney » 14 Jul 2016, 10:18

One thing that's helpful in the 2015/2016 versions of XPress is that you when you select any imported picture in your layout, the Measurements palette will tell you what that image's printable DPI is.

By "printable" DPI, I mean that if you imported a 300dpi image at 100% size, it will tell you it's 300dpi. If you imported a 300dpi image and scaled it down to 95%, it will tell you it's 315.79dpi.

This is very useful if you get a low-res image from somebody, but you want to quickly see (in your layout) what's the largest physical size you can use at the DPI you need for printing.

Return to “QuarkXPress 2016: General”