Doubt about managing bleeds in QuarkXpress

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2016 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Please note that Quark will support QX2016 until Nov 30, 2019.

caXton

Doubt about managing bleeds in QuarkXpress

Post by caXton » 14 Jul 2016, 07:44

Hi
I have a doubt regarding bleeds in QuarkXpress. I know you can set up the margin for bleeds going to File... Print... Bleed
If you use Symmetric, the only you have to do is typing the amount of bleed for the page and that is all. Okay, fine.
However, that is when printing. My doubt is about the bleeds when composing the page.
Let's imagine I have a DIN A4 210 x 297 mm
I want to place a full page picture... however I would need to extend the picture outside the physical dimensions of the page, that is... let's imagine I need 5 mm bleed on each side... okay... then I would have to extend the picture outside the physical dimensions of the DIN A4 page 5 mm left, 5 mm right, 5 mm up and 5 mm down.
Then, when going to point, I configure the bleed as I said before... File... Print... Bleed... Symmetric... and type 5 mm, and I guess this is the way you manage bleeds in Quark.
Because I've adjusted the print dimensions to have in mind the bleed, and because I've extended the picture outside the physical dimensions of the page, I guess Quark should be able to produce (print) the page, printing also the bleed.
Am I right?

However... when composing the page... I don't have a guide... that show me I am outside the physical dimensions of the page, in the quantity of mm I want for the bleed... so perhaps I would apply more bleed than necessary. Although this won't affect the final printed product, I don't see very clearly the amount of bleed I am applying to the picture when I am getting out from the physical dimensions of the page. I am dragging the picture outside the page, and... am I applying 5 mm of bleed? or 8 mm of bleed? I don't know...
In Indesign you can set up the bleed magins and also the page magins, so you can see... the page, the page's margins (inside the page), and also, outside the page, the bleed margins. With the bleed margins, drag a picture to resize it, according the margin's bleeds is very easy, you only have to adjust the picture to the box outside the page.
However, in Quark I don't see any option that allow me to see the bleed margins outside the physical dimensions of the page.
Can we have bleed margins in QuarkXpress when composing the page?
Cheers

amckinney

Re: Doubt about managing bleeds in QuarkXpress

Post by amckinney » 14 Jul 2016, 10:10

you can create custom guides yourself in the layout (and put them on the master page if you want them on all pages). Just drag them past the page wherever you need them. If you can't get it exactly where you want, you can double-click the guide and type in exactly where you want it to be, -5mm, for instance). Then, you can "snap to guides".

Also, as for wondering if you've extended the bleed too far/not far enough, just click on the margin and refer to the X/Y coordinates box.

A typical bleed for me is 1/8 inch, or 0.125 in. If I have an item that bleeds on the full page (or at least, is in the upper-left corner), I just make sure that the X/Y coordinates are both -0.125 and I know they're exactly where they need to be. You can then set your width/height to the proper amount (in your case, 10mm more than the total width if it bleeds all the way across, for instance).

caXton

Post by caXton » 14 Jul 2016, 16:00

hi, thanks for your reply.
Basically what you tell me is I configure the guides in the master pages, so I would always have guides ready, showing me the bleeds, and to configure the bleeds, I just need to get out the guides outside the physical dimensions of the page.
Okay, I did it, however we have a problem... this method works, but not 100%
For a facing pages document... I have two pages, when I configure the guides in the master page, I have two pages... but, along the document, I won't have always two pages... at the beginning of the document I would have 1 page and at the end of the document, perhaps I would have also 1 page... or two, but sometimes just one, it depends on the number of pages of the document...
And the result is this...

Sometimes I miss a bleed margin... have you seen?
In the first page I don't have my bleed margin, because the master page were two pages, so I configured the guides according it... and I miss one guide...
Of course more or less I can get out a picture outside the physical dimensions of the page... but I won't have that level of accuracy I have in Indesign...
Any way to solve this? what do you think?
Cheers

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 15 Jul 2016, 01:26

This is not a problem of QuarkXPress (nor InDesign), but one for finishing the final print. You cannot compare xPress and ID when you don't know what you have to do.
The way you set the bleed depends on how the final print is made, so you need first to talk to your printer.
Every day is a good day to learn something new.

caXton

Post by caXton » 15 Jul 2016, 21:10

Max you did not understood at all which was my observation, to make it easy I will number it

1. In Indesign when you create a document, it will ask you for the margin bleeds. These margin bleeds will apply to facing pages or single pages. This is because the bleed process is independent of the master page creation.

2. In QuarkXpress, when you create a document, you don't have the possibility to add bleeds. The only way to add bleeds is using the guides in a master page... so, If you are creating a document with facing pages, when you have an even number of pages (2, 4, 6, 8, 10, etc.), then you can create a bleed in the master page and it will apply correctly to all apages. But sometimes we add or remove pages and we won't have an even number, we will have an odd number, and this case, the result is the picture I've shown before, bleeds won't apply completely to the first and last page (because were configured for two pages, and not for just 1 page).
Note the difference with Indesign, that create the bleeds for every page (be facing or not). If you add or removes pages, if you have even or odd number of pages, you always will have the bleeds perfect for all pages. In Quark, you don't have this.
To solve this problem in Quark, you only have to drag two guides for the initial and final page, the effort is minimal, but... you have to work more than using Indesign.

This don't have any relationship whatsoever about talking with the printer...
Anyway for me the problem is solved. In Quark is a bit more complex using bleeds, but you can handle it well like in Indesign

Cheers

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 16 Jul 2016, 04:37

caXton, XPress does not need to copy InDesign, it has its own workflow and for using it you might need sometime to read the User Guide.

When you create a facing pages layout, sometimes you need, sometimes you don't need a bleed for inside, whatever bleed you have for outside, top and bottmo of the page. This depends on how the final document is finished and this is about I was writting in my previous post: you might need to talk to your printer to find if you need or if you need not a bleed for inner side of the pages.

In InDesign you can set the bleed ammount when you create a document. In QuarkXPress you have to create the new layout, THEN you can use the command from the Guides palette. See the attached image.
Attachments
01.jpg
01.jpg (102.95 KiB) Viewed 3622 times

caXton

Post by caXton » 16 Jul 2016, 17:18

My God max.peter with that function you can create bleeds for all pages in seconds, in a very similar process as Indesign. I did not know this function was available thanks a lot!

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 17 Jul 2016, 02:12

;)

PetarMakedonecot

Post by PetarMakedonecot » 17 Jul 2016, 02:52

There is another workarround. Just extend the paper size for the ammount of bleed you need and when going to print, just tell the printer how much he will have to cutout.

So, if you need 5mm bleed and you have A4 (210x297) page, it will be 220x307 for a single page, or 215x307 for facing pages document. You will just have to readjust the text margins for the bleed amount.
Petar Petrenko
Typesetter - Graphic Designer - Photographer - DTP Trainer
Skopje, Makedonija

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 17 Jul 2016, 11:01

Petar, there is a problem with your solution, let me say. The final PDF file must contain the logical boxes (MediaBox, BleedBox, TrimBox etc.). If you extend the page size, then the imposition software does not recognise the TrimBox and the printer can have problems with setting the cropmarks.

Return to “QuarkXPress 2016: General”