Numbering in Quark

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2016 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.
reallyoldquarkuser

Numbering in Quark

Post by reallyoldquarkuser » 23 Mar 2017, 05:13

So this is not page numbering its for ncr pads (duplicate sets) I do a lot of these at my digital printing firm, and usually print and send out for numbering, is there software out there that would allow me to incorporate this in when making up my quark document...Any help would be appreciated as I lose time and money sending this out.

MikeWenzloff

Re: Numbering in Quark

Post by MikeWenzloff » 23 Mar 2017, 08:41

I haven't done NCR numbering myself before.

I would likely make an Excel file that has the numbering pattern and start number I needed, copy/paste that into a text editor. Then thread that through a text box positioned as appropriate. It can be imported twice for the two-part forms.

Another method would be to use Acrobat to duplicate the pages. But I don't know what the job is or looks like. A screen shot might help if the preceding doesn't help.

Mike

reallyoldquarkuser

Post by reallyoldquarkuser » 23 Mar 2017, 10:08

Thanks Mike I found a bit of numbering software that when we created the pdf you can drop it into that goes onto multiple pages either for one or two part and creates a new document which is numbered throughout and we have successfully printed a set to make sure it works.
thanks for your feedback if anything happens I will use the dreaded excel.....
Thomas

PrintingServices

Post by PrintingServices » 23 Mar 2017, 10:39

Hi there!
We design and print NCR pads, and use Quark to do the design part, saving the final artwork as a PDF.
We then use Microsoft Word for the Mail Merge function - positioning a Text Box containing the previously created form artwork PDF covering the whole page, then another text box in the position for the number.
I create an Excel file containing the numbers (say, 1-500) in one column, which has the heading "Numbers" in the first row.
Then, using the 'Mail Merge' function in Word, I go through the 'wizard' process to select the box for the numbers and the file containing the numbers.
I can print out (for example) 500 numbered CB white copies, then change the paper and print out the same form on CF Pink for the second part of the NCR. Needs a bit of manual collating, but that's not too bad.
Alternatively, you can be really clever and make a multi-page document, and get the digital print machine to take the paper for the first page from one drawer, and the paper for the second page from another draw. This collates the paper for you!

The same processes apply if you are printing multiple copies of the same form on a page (A6 pads printed on A4), but you need four columns of numbers in the Excel file.

It's actually pretty simple once you do it!

I believe there is various bits of software you can purchase that will let you do this directly from within Quark, but I've not had need of them when using this process in Word!

Let me know how it goes!

Michael

PetarMakedonecot

Post by PetarMakedonecot » 25 Mar 2017, 05:47

MikeWenzloff wrote:I haven't done NCR numbering myself before.

I would likely make an Excel file that has the numbering pattern and start number I needed, copy/paste that into a text editor. Then thread that through a text box positioned as appropriate. It can be imported twice for the two-part forms.

Another method would be to use Acrobat to duplicate the pages. But I don't know what the job is or looks like. A screen shot might help if the preceding doesn't help.

Mike
I found this method most appropriate, because I use it also for my jobs.
Petar Petrenko
Typesetter - Graphic Designer - Photographer - DTP Trainer
Skopje, Makedonija

bluegreen

Post by bluegreen » 27 Mar 2017, 15:37

Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 4.25.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 4.25.08 PM.png (136.25 KiB) Viewed 2219 times
Try this. I was dubious at first but bought it a couple of years ago. To my knowledge it has not been updated since I bought it, but still works on my system, no problems. A great deal of flexibility to it. I use it mainly to do numbering of digital raffle-style tickets, but it has the ability to do NCR style numbering.

I'm on Mac, but I believe that there is a Windows version as well.

Interface is a bit clunky, but once you get used to it, you can pretty much do what you want. I do my layout in Quark, use shared content from the first layout to do my # up on a 2nd layout, then export the pdf (8.5 x 11).

Then you have to set up your numbers in the correct place (you can save preferences so that you only have to this once for each style you do).

It has a "wizard" that makes it easy to set start numbers and # up for each new job.

i7 iMac, 24GB ram, Fusion drive, running El Capitan.

I've done some very short runs with NCR with it and it did the job fine.

Return to “QuarkXPress 2016: General”