Decrease page size for project

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2016 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.
EKirk

Decrease page size for project

Post by EKirk » 25 Mar 2017, 11:32

We'd like to decrease the page height from 11" to 10.375" for an existing book project with several chapters. When we go into Layout Properties to change the page size, however, we get the error message "This page size would cause items on page 1 to be positioned off the pasteboard. [31]"

I've tried moving all of the elements on pages 1-2 out of the way, towards the middle of the page, and I continue to get this error message. I've also tried decreasing the size only a tiny amount, e.g. from 11" down to 10.9". In all cases I get the same error message.

Is there any way around this? Our backup plan is to just create a new document at the right size and copy all the elements from each page over, but it would be great to avoid that.

max.peter

Re: Decrease page size for project

Post by max.peter » 26 Mar 2017, 04:24

If you want to resize the pages AND their content you'd use the Scale palette (Windows - Scale). Make sure you check the "Layout" checkbox.
Every day is a good day to learn something new.

EKirk

Post by EKirk » 26 Mar 2017, 09:50

Thanks for the suggestion.

We don't want to resize all of the content, though -- the pages are already at the correct width, and there's some extra vertical space on most pages, so we'd like to change the page size first and then move things around a bit to fit properly, if that can be done.

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 27 Mar 2017, 03:39

Then you can create a new project having modified page sizes, then open both the old and the new project and copy/paste elements you need. Still you can't paste those elements which are bigger than pasteboard, you need to change their size before copy/paste.
Every day is a good day to learn something new.

bluegreen

Post by bluegreen » 27 Mar 2017, 15:23

Maybe check for stray items (unused text/image boxes) appearing on page 1? Your error message is quote as specific to page 1, but you might also check your master pages as well.

If that doesn't help, maybe export a new copy of the file (File/Export/Layout as Project…) and try again.

Good luck.

Return to “QuarkXPress 2016: General”